Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-14-2011, 06:36 AM

Default 192 analog inputs make noises

Hello,
like many times before 6 of my analog inputs of my 192 interface make noises.
Can someone give me a link so I can get an RA# to send the card for repair?
I live in Germany.
Many thanx.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:44 AM

Default Re: 192 analog inputs make noises

I had a similar problem. crackling sounds coming out of the 192?

The Noise is intermittent ? mine was.

Carefully open the unit and detach the ribbon cable connectors that are connected to the cards. Reconnect the cables to the card and that should solve the problem. worth a try before sending the unit back $$$ they get oxidized after a while.
i did this and my noise problem vanished.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:24 AM

unfortunately the noise is a steady one and I had this problem before. It sound like white noise.
So the card needs service but I can't figure out how to get an RM#. The Avid support pages are really unclear.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:27 AM

I had the same problem, white noise on one input, a while back and I finally pulled the connector from the 192 to the HD core card and plugged it back in a few times and the problem went away.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:44 AM

I had noise on two of my 192 inputs. It turned out to be couple of bad chips on the input card. I found an authorized local repair shop, which I found by looking on the former Digi site, that was authorized to repair cards. There must be some in your country. I called them and they took care of everything. They charged me a regular flat rate that, I think, was around $200. Hopefully there is still some kind of authorized repair center list somewhere on the Avid site at this point. It's worth a shot at least given, of course, that the site is still a bit of a nightmare.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:18 PM

re: 192 noises. I'm having the same problem right now on two separate 192's located in two separate but identical rooms, both of which were installed at the same time. Incidentally, the problem even started on the same channels for me! 1,2, and 7.

For me, there are two distinct noises.
1. A regular fluttering motorboating noise at a low but audible level. Definitely localized to the interface. Definitely changes when the multipin cable is touched.
2. A hashy "I'm a failed transistor junction" noise, with and without crackles. Not sensitive to cable movement.

In the latest twist, one room (which has sat idle for some months) has gotten much worse the first time we tried to use it again. Oddly it lost all the odd numbered channels on the analog inputs! Some to noise 1, some to noise 2.

In my other room, the problem seems somehow linked to the multipin high density cable. (not the DB25's, but the cable to the core card chassis). That connector seems very frail and prone to failure, IMO. When unplugged and reset, the noise changes, though for me never totally disappears. (btw, don't unplug it without powering down the core and the interface, per Digi...er Avid directions.

I'm going to have my engineer open up the boxes and check for oxidation on the ribbon connectors mentioned by others here in this thread. These "bad design noises" are a fairly old story for these kinds of connectors, so I think I'll try the "clean and replug" solution first. I also think I may have two problems riding on top of each other, the oxidation problem coupled with a failed IC or two on a couple of the channels. Both my Channel 7's in the two separate units are acting up in exactly the same way.

I'll report the results of the cleaning and replugging trick back here.

Cheers!

CBG