Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2015, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Plug in missing when opening old sessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Ok thanks TO ALL OF YOU GUYS for your help i really appreciate and im so sorry to be angry but music should be a pleasure and i dont see any pleasure making music with such annoying and heavy technology...

Anyway, No my PT 7,4 is not on my PT11 computer so how am i supposed to do to try the trick you was proposing dear albee ?
Simple. Get a ram thumb drive, plug it into your old computer and copy the plugins to that and then move the drive to your PT computer and put them in the appropriate folder there. In the old days it was called sneaker-netting.

You could use any kind of movable storage device - floppy disk , memory card like from a camera, etc.

QAPLA!
Old 01-19-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Zull View Post
Keep in mind that you are opening up sessions for a version of PT that is over 7 years old, as PT7.4 was released in October of 2007 iirc. Things are gonna change over that amount of time, and even though newer versions of PT can import really old versions of sessions, there are bound to be things that didn't quite translate exactly to the new version. Plugins are one of these exceptions, as they change over time with new revisions etc. quite frequently.

Here's what you could do. This is assuming that you will have PT10 installed, as PT11 can't use RTAS plugins with the .dpm extension, only AAX64 in 11.

Make a backup of all the currently installed plugins for PT10, just make a folder and move them there (somewhere other than the unused plugins folder). Then, copy EVERY plugin from the 7.4 plugins and unused plugins folder, and drop them into the PT10 plugins folder. Try opening the session then and see what plugins are getting restored and are functional in the session in question. Then, once you've done what you gotta do to the session, close it and start adding back in the PT10 plugins. Once you get everything in there, and have done what you need to do to the legacy session, then you can start cleaning up the PT10 plugins and unused plugins folders until you have them organized how you like.

I feel your pain, been there with this. An up-side is that I'm 7 years better of an engineer than I was in 2007 now, so often times when I open up those old sessions I say to myself, "wow, I would do this totally different and better now these days", and I remix it to how I'd like to hear it now.

Good luck, it's a task but you can get it done with a little tenacity.
You are very nice.
Problem is i never say i had PT10...
I just have PT 7,4 and 11.

But to be sure i understand you, your suggestion was to open sessions in PT10 and replace, rendered and delete all plugin that was not working on PT11 right or did i misunderstood ?

So maybe the easiest solution would be to buy a PT10 version ??? All my plug will open in 10 for sure ?
Old 01-19-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
You are very nice.
Problem is i never say i had PT10...
I just have PT 7,4 and 11.

But to be sure i understand you, your suggestion was to open sessions in PT10 and replace, rendered and delete all plugin that was not working on PT11 right or did i misunderstood ?

So maybe the easiest solution would be to buy a PT10 version ??? All my plug will open in 10 for sure ?
If you have PT11 you also have a license asset for PT10. As to whether all your plugins you have in PT7.4 will open in PT10 - that depends on whether you have any that are not stock Avid plugins. But if you follow what Zull wrote you should be good to go. It really is that simple if you follow the steps.

QAPLA!
Old 01-19-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
If you have PT11 you also have a license asset for PT10.
Right, login to your Avid account and go to your downloads page, you should see the installers for PT10 in your list of downloads. Everyone who bought PT11 got a PT10 license as well so that they could have the latest version prior to PT going 64 bit and plugins went AAX64. PT10 can, in theory, open up any of your old RTAS plugins that are of the .dpm file type. I still open up PT10 every now and then to gain access to some of my old RTAS plugins that I rarely use and either don't want to pay to upgrade them or the plugin isn't going to ever be updated to AAX64.

Again, I can't confirm this is going to work perfectly because I haven't tested this particular situation myself, but it's your best shot and worth a try. Every older RTAS plugin that I've tried to open up in PT 10.3.9 has opened up just fine. Best of luck.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Zull View Post
Right, login to your Avid account and go to your downloads page, you should see the installers for PT10 in your list of downloads. Everyone who bought PT11 got a PT10 license as well so that they could have the latest version prior to PT going 64 bit and plugins went AAX64. PT10 can, in theory, open up any of your old RTAS plugins that are of the .dpm file type. I still open up PT10 every now and then to gain access to some of my old RTAS plugins that I rarely use and either don't want to pay to upgrade them or the plugin isn't going to ever be updated to AAX64.

Again, I can't confirm this is going to work perfectly because I haven't tested this particular situation myself, but it's your best shot and worth a try. Every older RTAS plugin that I've tried to open up in PT 10.3.9 has opened up just fine. Best of luck.
Cool guys and thanks again to all of you really !!! will try that and come back when done to say hopefully thank you !!