Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-08-2001, 08:46 AM

Default How to mix in Pro Tools

I think the question of whether or not we can mix in ptools is a non issue, because many of us have no choice. So here is a new topic for suggestions on HOW! Please no ptools criticisms we have all invested at this point, so this thread is about getting the maximum return on that investment.

Suggestions?
Old 12-08-2001, 02:19 PM

Default Re: How to mix in Pro Tools

We can mix in PT?!?!?! I'd love to hear how. I bet it has something to do with those fader looking things on my monitor.
Old 12-08-2001, 03:14 PM

The greatest piece of advice I've been given about mixing in ProTools is "Up is louder!".

sm
Old 12-08-2001, 04:11 PM

now you've done it. You've created another monster. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2001, 05:48 PM

IMHO,

I can, and DO mix in Pro Tools, depending on the budget at hand. If the artist/group has no budget, I will almost always mix in PT, but one of the ways to avoid the gripes that many have ( fader @ 0 dB, lack of DSP, timeslots etc.) is to PRINT FX! If you like what you hear when tracking, esp. with a certain effect, PRINT IT - just because you potentially have the ability to instantiate a zillion plug-ins doesn't mean you have to wait till the last minute to print them to a stereo mix. I judiciously print certain things - reverbs, delays, AMP Farm etc, to conserve having to make all the decisions at the end, and realize you need 10 more farm cards to execute this. Also, I don't believe the hype of faders @ unity : I've printed many mixes with faders down as low as -10 dB, sometimes lower, but this seems to mostly being an issue when above 32 tracks, so if mixes are lean, no huge worries (tho I'm sure there'll be lots of disputes on this [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

If mixes are thicker (above 32 tracks) try using the track plug-in's volume as your automation: can save face, but obviously can't save a weak performance. My rule is - if you're over 32 tracks (audio), you're not working with music anymore, your creating fluff 'cos it (the song) can't stand on its own merit. By the way, that's MY OPINION [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Best wishes,

Jay
PlugHead Productions
Old 12-08-2001, 11:19 PM

1. Simple images in the hard left and
hard right positions.

2. Monitor low, turn up loud on OCCASSION.

3. Understand masking well, especially high end masking which seems especially true inside PT. A single tamb track can diffuse most the high end of gtr strums! Choose your high range stuff carefully...

4. Listen to something else every so often to get the ears off topic and limber for a while.

5. Utilize dynamic range, don't squish the mix to death with over compressing. Yeah its fun to watch the lights and all, but really... Utilize some depth!

Good luck, hope this contributes? SSL or not!

PS. The limitations of summing in the system actually can work in your benefit! There is provided a framed picture so to speak inside the box! It has a shape similar to this symbol: }

Yes a, }

That is, the center has punch resolution and depth but that edge and stable imaging seems to get blurred as you get out of center spot, panning wise. The edges of the sound field have a bit less edge, presence and depth in masking terms than the center!

Thus use it to mix up the center and be a bit more judicious about the outer edges! This is sorta like the 'ol less is more statement...

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2001, 01:05 AM

…and if you're on a TDM system & haven't done so already, go to www.digidesign.com >support >downloads >ProTools downloads, and get the "dithered mixer", posted June 2001.

Go to your system folder > DAE folder > Plug-ins folder, move the Optomized 24-bit mixer to the "Unused plug-ins" folder, and place the "Hi-Res 24-bit optomized mixer" into the Plug-ins folder. It uses more DSP than the original mixer, but the difference is NOT subtle... you'll likely use less EQ, etc to get your mix to come to life. I printed a mix with each version of the 24-bit Mixer & A-B'd them… significant improvement in depth, transparency, clarity, punch, etc. Also allegedly 6dB more headroom. YMMV, but it gets my vote!

Accurate monitors in a decent listening environment are very important, and it can take weeks or months to REALLY get your ears tuned in to a particular control room, especially if it's a home facility with all the usual inaccuracies. The Waves PAZ analyzer is a valuable tool… I use it on the master fader, plus on an aux input that's fed from the digital output of a CD player (in 44.1 sessions), so I can compare the frequency curve of my mixes to those of my favorite CD's, without the CD player's A/D converters being a factor. I then assign the CD aux to another pair of outputs & bring it up on HUI input 2 for easy A/B-ing with the mix I'm working on.

Also, just like outboard gear, each brand of plug-in has a "sonic personality". It's essential to have a few brands of plugs to choose from, and learning to apply those to particular tracks to acheive the desired effect is a critical step. My apologies if you've heard all this already… good luck!

Warmest Regards,
Brian
Old 12-09-2001, 05:09 PM

Edited snip

"I compare my mixes to those of my favorite CD's, without the CD player's A/D converters being a factor. I then assign the CD aux to another pair of outputs for easy A/B-ing with the mix I'm working on."

I do this too...

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
www.gearslutz.com