Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2012, 08:08 PM

Default Strange SC48 behavior

I had a strange thing happen tonight. We have a demo SC48 at the moment. A couple of musicians were rehearsing and one of the churches sound guys wanted to see if he could get his Mac Book that has pro tools 9 on it working with the SC48. I have never used pro tools so he was dealing with his computer and I was trying to help the musicians with some of their monitor requests. When all of a sudden I noticed that all of the channel names had changed from the way it was labels to reading the letter “S” and then the channel number. Except for the 3 channels I had just patched with the protocols as inputs and they read (I think it was) FWx-1 etc. This was only happening on the input channels on the surface, the video monitor still was reading the names correctly and it didn’t affect any of the outputs. It was interesting to see how much I rely on the channel labels to know what is on each input.

I tried recalling the scene I was in that had all selected and the names didn’t revert back. I then went to history and loaded a show file from before this happened and it still didn’t revert back to how it should have been. All this time the live sound continued to work thru the console. So I decided to hit the 2-reset buttons. It went thru the reset while still passing audio and allowing me to mix. This whole thing has me puzzled but it was nice to see how it wouldn’t have interrupted the show. When it reset all the names came back as they were supposed to be. But I am really puzzled as to exactly what caused it to go bad.

Now pro tools working on the SC48 is another whole discussion that I will ask about soon. But please not in this tread unless it is the answer to this problem.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Strange SC48 behavior

It sounds like someone hit the "Source" button. When pressed it changes the channel labels from channel fader number or label to the actual source patched to that fader. The "S" is for "Stage rack" (or the input strips on the back of the SC48), the FWX is for firewire sources.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McCullcoh View Post
It sounds like someone hit the "Source" button. When pressed it changes the channel labels from channel fader number or label to the actual source patched to that fader. The "S" is for "Stage rack" (or the input strips on the back of the SC48), the FWX is for firewire sources.
Where is the source button? One of us may have pressed it by accident. Is it on the surface or on the screen?
Old 02-22-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMAXX7 View Post
Where is the source button? One of us may have pressed it by accident. Is it on the surface or on the screen?
It's all the on the left directly below the yellow fader flip button. Hard to miss...

Exclusively at the Miners Foundry
Old 02-22-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
It's all the on the left directly below the yellow fader flip button. Hard to miss...
Thank you. I am still learning the console and I hadn’t figured out that button yet. I could definitely see that I may have hit that button by mistake since I was reaching across in front of the other guy to flip to faders. BTW I had always thought that flip to faders swapped the present function of the rotary encoders to the faders and what was on the faders to the encoders. But that isn’t how it seems to work. Or is it a setting somewhere that I missed?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Avid

No - what you are seeing is how we do it. We bring what is on the rotary encoders onto the faders but the Ch level controls do not go up to the rotary encoders.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:50 PM

That is exactly what the problem was.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 02-22-2012, 09:42 PM

But...for stereo aux/var groups, when you flip, the encoders become pan adjustments. Pretty slick!!

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |