Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 02-11-2021, 11:01 PM

Default Using a computer monitor for video?

I'm setting up a home mix rig using a 2011 iMac (I know, but it was the top of the line and it's been incredible). I've been looking for a "real" video output solution. I found a Sonnet Echo Express SE 1 and I'm searching for a Kona LHi card.

But I get this sense that people are just running desktop video from a Pro Tools window (or maybe a lot more than are willing to admit). I have to say, after I set the proper offset it seems very consistent just feeding a TV with HDMI.

I'll still go with the proper solution, but curious what people are doing. Throwing plug-ins and other windows on the screen when you need to is certainly a nice bonus.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Using a computer monitor for video?

I don't know about the Imac, but in Windows I just stretch the desktop across 3 monitors and resize the video image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05A.jpg (57.1 KB, 0 views)
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 02-12-2021, 02:10 PM

Same thing here.
I'm on a 2009 Mac Pro (upgraded to 2012).
Even if there's a Blackmagic Intensity 4k installed, I'm running a 3 monitor setup straight from the graphic card..... Bonus point, being able to use the third monitor as computer monitor whenever possible: edit window, mix window, plugins, Dolby Atmos Production Suite.... you get the picture.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCash View Post
I'm setting up a home mix rig using a 2011 iMac (I know, but it was the top of the line and it's been incredible). I've been looking for a "real" video output solution. I found a Sonnet Echo Express SE 1 and I'm searching for a Kona LHi card.

But I get this sense that people are just running desktop video from a Pro Tools window (or maybe a lot more than are willing to admit). I have to say, after I set the proper offset it seems very consistent just feeding a TV with HDMI.

I'll still go with the proper solution, but curious what people are doing. Throwing plug-ins and other windows on the screen when you need to is certainly a nice bonus.
I've measured probably 6 or 7 TVs and maybe 10 computer monitors with a Syncheck. The computer monitor video (without a video interface) is always a little jittery and out of sync. And the colors are usually washed out and you can see a menubar. If you're working alone and you're not super-picky about lipsync, it's usually fine. Go for it. It's when you have clients in the room that really want to see the color and deal with detailed lipsync issues, that having an Avid, Blackmagic or AJA video interface pays off. The frame rate is dead-on, the color is good, your mouse can't accidentally move over the image... etc.

Maybe get a TV with multiple HDMI inputs and feed the computer AND a video interface so you can switch as needed. That's what I've been doing, especially recently with Source Live Pro.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the feedback, and for the pic Wizzoboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Maybe get a TV with multiple HDMI inputs and feed the computer AND a video interface so you can switch as needed. That's what I've been doing, especially recently with Source Live Pro.
That’s exactly what I plan on doing. Having the option for the extended desktop is the best of both worlds.

Instead of asking my question specifically about computer monitors, I should’ve asked, “How many of you are using the Pro Tools video window instead of a dedicated video interface?”... regardless of sending it to a computer monitor OR a TV.

When you say sync is sloppy on a computer monitor, I assume the results were the same if the monitor was a TV? — you’re still using PT’s video window.

For working alone, the menu bar and the color is a drag but not a deal breaker. However, as a mixer, the sync has to be accurate.
Old 02-13-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
When you say sync is sloppy on a computer monitor, I assume the results were the same if the monitor was a TV? — you’re still using PT’s video window.
Yes, sync is sloppy whether or not it's a computer monitor or TV (sorry I wasn't clearer). Back when Avid made the new AVE in PT11, the PT video window got much better in terms of sync, but still not as good as dedicated video hardware.

In the video hardware world, there are two categories:

1. devices like T-Tap or some lower-end Blackmagic cards without genlock that give very good sync, much better than PT window.

2. devices like the high-end Kona cards that have genlock and will give you 100% frame-edge sync.

IME, the T-Tap has been so tight, that I don't feel like I need genlock, but on the big stages, genlock is commonplace.
Old 02-13-2021, 01:51 PM

Thanks. I’m aware of the pro options, but the clarification is appreciated. It’s the semi-pro option I was wondering about, as it’s been a long time since I’ve tried to work that way. Your Syncheck results give the answer.

What range are we talking about - 1/4 frames or frames?
Old 02-14-2021, 02:55 AM

Pro on the cheap (for 5,1 mac users)

Decklink SDI plus 30€ SDI to HDMI converter on the back of your TV. Has genlock, no fans on the card and works like a charm. These are great as they can be powered by the USB out of your TV or projector: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...icroconverters

Plus you don't need crazy thick expensive HDMI cables or an additional extender to bridge the 20m+ without signal problems. SDI cables can run 100m (I think) without any additional help.

F.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 02-14-2021 at 04:07 AM.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCash View Post
Thanks. I’m aware of the pro options, but the clarification is appreciated. It’s the semi-pro option I was wondering about, as it’s been a long time since I’ve tried to work that way. Your Syncheck results give the answer.

What range are we talking about - 1/4 frames or frames?
I would have to look at it again, but the Syncheck reports audio and video arrival time in milliseconds difference. The problem is not that one device is late, it's that it's inconsistent. With lousy video playback, you'll set an offset that seems right, but then you'll see video behind or ahead during a long playback of 4-5 minutes with inaccuracies in the +/- 50-150ms range. So during a two minute playback, the target is moving all over the place unpredictably. Then you stop and start again and it's somewhere else. With some devices, it takes 4-5 sec. to lock in, and then playback is perfect. And to make matters even more complex, every codec plays back on every system in different ways. H264s and ProRes have different results. 100ms may not seem like much, but dialog editors famously move clips by quarter frames to make them tight, and that's about 10ms!

Pro Tools Expert wrote a great article about this years ago. Worth searching there if you're curious.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:38 PM

Great idea Frank, thanks.

Great info reichman. Unpredictable sync isn't an option.