Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2015, 06:23 AM

Default HD Omni volume control quality

I am HD I/O user trying to figure out the good and affordable way of controlling my monitoring volume. Using Coleman audio M3 on first pair of HD I/O outputs right now. I wonder if any of you could help me to decide if using Omni HD for controlling CR volume would be worse for sound. ( I am thinking of adding Omni to my system anyway, the question is if it is great and transparent sounding volume controller) Cannot find any info how the volume change in Omni is done ( digitally controlled analog volume chip or digital domain volume) and I would prefer the first :)
Did anyone have a chance to compare the quality of volume control in Omni with any respected volume controllers ?
Thanks in advance
Old 02-04-2015, 10:08 AM

Default Re: HD Omni volume control quality

Sonically, it sounds fine. The real question relates to convenience. I much prefer the handy knob I have with a Presonus Central Station and remote sitting on my desktop. Plus, I have read lots of complaints about the volume of the fan if you mount the OMNI close by(which you would so you could reach it). Food for thought

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-04-2015, 01:56 PM

Thanks albee !
the fan will be replaced immediately with the quiet one (easy to do) and then i will be able to place the unit within the reach... I was only worried about the sonic comparison to a hi end passive unit...
Old 02-04-2015, 03:05 PM

I doubt anyone can hear a difference I go out of an HD IO to a Presonus Central Station(also passive) and love it. My only complaint is that when you turn the volume way down, the image moves to the right at the very bottom of the volume range(evidently they all do this)

Old 02-04-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
My only complaint is that when you turn the volume way down, the image moves to the right at the very bottom of the volume range(evidently they all do this
yes, but if you have the "dim" engaged at all times the image will stay the same, at least in my unit, maybe not perfect but much better than disengaged.

I'm also looking into buy a omni and are wondering the same thing. I have read that people prefer the Omni monitoring compared to coleman and Avocet.

I have used the central station for 8 years and the other day I did a test, ran the speakers directly from the HD I/O 16*16 . I immediately noticed a much wider stereo image, and more "natural" mids. Like if the singer where standing just right in front of me. The central station in comparison had a tiny "blanket" effect. At least on my dynaudio speakers. I read afterwords that several others have experienced the same thing. That said central station is still a great piece, I just want to have the best unit for my moderate level mixing in my home studio

I guess my next purchase is the Omni.
I will keep my central station for talkback and additional speaker hookups, Its a great unit
Old 02-04-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmixer04 View Post
yes, but if you have the "dim" engaged at all times the image will stay the same, at least in my unit, maybe not perfect but much better than disengaged.

I'm also looking into buy a omni and are wondering the same thing. I have read that people prefer the Omni monitoring compared to coleman and Avocet.

I have used the central station for 8 years and the other day I did a test, ran the speakers directly from the HD I/O 16*16 . I immediately noticed a much wider stereo image, and more "natural" mids. Like if the singer where standing just right in front of me. The central station in comparison had a tiny "blanket" effect. At least on my dynaudio speakers. I read afterwords that several others have experienced the same thing. That said central station is still a great piece, I just want to have the best unit for my moderate level mixing in my home studio

I guess my next purchase is the Omni.
I will keep my central station for talkback and additional speaker hookups, Its a great unit
Now you have piqued my curiosity! I shall have to do that A/B test myself