Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2011, 10:23 AM

Default * key and timecode offset

Just something I've wondered for a long time, as this happens a few times a year...

There is some combination of keys along with accidentally hitting the * key on the number pad that enters an offset. From that point on, entering a TC (with the = key) will have the the session start time added to it, which in my case is 58 minutes. Makes it real hard to navigate after that.

I've looked at all the places you can enter an offset, and nothing is changed. The only way out of it is to close the session and reopen it.

Does anyone know what key combination I'm hitting and how to get out of it?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:08 PM

Default Re: * key and timecode offset

Bug.

It's been there for a decade if not longer. Reported a gazzillion times, but since it is not always reproduceable it is not fixeable. The only thing I know for certain about it is that it comes after audiosuite. I'm pretty sure it only comes after time expand/compression. When it happens I've learned to stop using * temporarily and start clicking on the IN POINT window.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:09 PM

Well I can repro 100% of the time. You hit the "*" key. Then the "-" key and then any value and that value is the offset. The reason the session time is your offset, ccash, is that you have too much of an offset. I know how I accidentally do it: I just don't know how to clear it. Anyone know?
Best
Old 05-17-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Well I can repro 100% of the time. You hit the "*" key. Then the "-" key and then any value and that value is the offset. The reason the session time is your offset, ccash, is that you have too much of an offset. I know how I accidentally do it: I just don't know how to clear it. Anyone know?
Best
For us it is definitely reproducable.

Hit "*", enter any value and then hit esc.

From then on "*" is useless. Someone here on the duc gave me the tip, that the "/" still works, in case you don't have the time to restart Pro Tools, which fixes the problem in our case.

So basically in our case, it's the escape button that brings the bug to life.
Best,
Timothy
Old 05-17-2011, 03:36 AM

Ah good, then Avid ought to be able to fix this one quickly!
Old 05-17-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
You hit the "*" key. Then the "-" key and then any value and that value is the offset.
Best
Hey Brandon, hope all is well. Yeah, that's what I was going to post, and I had tried it just to make sure... but it didn't do it.

I just tried unsuccessfully to reproduce it with all of the scenarios here (minus key + value, minus key + Esc, * + Esc, after A/S time compression, etc.).

I'd be inclined to say the bug is fixed in 9.0.2, except it just happened yesterday.

Thanks for your replies -- at least now I know it's a "thing".
Old 05-18-2011, 12:27 AM

The bug is caused by entering an offset in the tc window by ysing plus or minus and then not hitting enter before leaving the tc window. The offset is then forever applied, like it or not. Reported and demoed to Avid 7.4.2 or thereabouts, when unity was new fangled and V10 was the Mojo.

You can sort of clear the bug. I don't have apple1 transport window open ever, until I hit the bug. Then when the main session part of the timecode world is victim of the bug, open the transport window and carry on as it is not affected. Sort of a workaround.

BTW did you all know you can cut and paste timecode as well as an audio region? The clipboard can hold multiple dissimilar items. Go to where you want your fx to be, enter the timecode window and control c it. Grab the region you want and hit c to copy region. Then enter tc window and hit control v to paste the tc of where to go to, then after enter, hit v to paste region. Nice!

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 05-18-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Go to where you want your fx to be, enter the timecode window and control c it. Grab the region you want and hit c to copy region. Then enter tc window and hit control v to paste the tc of where to go to, then after enter, hit v to paste region. Nice!
I simply place the insert/playback cursor where I want my copied audio to appear, then scroll to the original and (using the grabber) ctrl+option+click on it or, if I want to use a sync point, shift+ctrl+option+click on the source file.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:14 AM

yes, but if your two locations are far apart, apart from separating timeline and edit selection this is a nifty way to do it.

The point is also that it can be used as "locate locate" used to be on the AMS audiofile.

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 05-18-2011, 06:12 AM

The reason the bug has been around for so long is because it is not 100% reproducible. In my case, it only happens when I am doing lots of editing -- plus/minus could be a factor. But, it just doesn't happen to me unless I do time compression, usually the TCE tool. Not every time obviously, but I've always been aware that, when suddenly I am locating to the end of my timeline instead of the location I wanted, I have done time compression a short while earlier. Coincidence perhaps.