Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2001, 03:13 PM

Default Do I really need 001?? Please help!

I am trying to decide if the 001 system is too detailed for what I need. Here's the situation...I will only record music using no more than two instruments(1/4''inputs) and sometimes a mic. I love the advantages Protools offers, but am I out of my league? In other words, is Toolbox a possible option for me? (Although I wish Toolbox XP had different inputs other than RCA).

Please help,
Old 03-12-2001, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Do I really need 001?? Please help!

I say go for it, the 001 is really a simple little box....there's just not alot to it. Before I bought mine I had a Tascam 242 or 244 cassette multi track and had no problem with the switch to the 001. The most difficult part is the software which isn't all that difficult just take baby steps with your recordings and you'll be fine.

[This message has been edited by maxcap (edited March 12, 2001).]
Old 03-12-2001, 07:34 PM

If you are looking at toolbox, the cost difference to the 001 is minimal. Go for the 001. It really is an amazing tool.
Old 03-12-2001, 08:32 PM

The answer to your question is no. If you never will record more than 2-4 tracks at a time than get the toolbox. It's cheaper and the software is the same. You can always go bigger later. RCA is basically the same as 1/4 inch. For vocals get a good mic and a good preamp.
Old 03-12-2001, 09:29 PM

Well, everyone else has thrown in their $.02, so...

I think the 001 will fit your needs BETTER than the toolbox because it is SIMPLER to do the work that you describe. It has built-in mic preamps, so you won't have to get an external mic preamp or get converters for the RCA jacks, etc.

With the Toolbox, you'll still have to buy a mic preamp and/or direct box (plus cables). Add at LEAST another $100-200 for that.

When I'm doing a song sketch (or the initial writing of a song), it's really quick. I have an SM58 plugged into input 1 and my POD plugged into input 2. I have a drum machine plugged in for my midi drums. Very quick and simple...

------------------
LW

PTLE8/002r;OS 10.6.4 2 x 2.26Ghz quadcore,6GB RAM, Waves Platinum, many other plugins...
Old 03-13-2001, 12:12 AM

Don't pass up the awesome I/O that the Digi 001 offers just to save $250. If you don't get the 001 you'll be kicking yourself in the head the first time that you find you really do need more I/O than the Audiomedia III card.

Also remember, the A/D and D/A converters are 18 bit on the Audiomedia III. You get 24 bit on the Digi 001.

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2
- PreSonus Studio 24c
- MBox 3 Mini
- Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Behringer X32 Producer
- PT 2020.5.0 (vanilla)
- Various USB2/3 and Firewire hard drives
Old 03-13-2001, 04:59 AM

Quickdraw.
001 is very good but unless your music grows more than a few tracks, I'd say it is overkill. Why not just use Protools free (8 tracks for nothing!) and spend your budget on a decent mic pre/mixer to go into your Mac audio input (or even a USB audio interface).

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 03-13-2001, 06:40 PM

There's a rule experienced computer users follow when buying new stuff which is: buy beyond your current needs. Get 001, you never know when you might expand into midi, or record a friend's band and want to do 5 or 6 tracks at once, etc. etc. The simplicity is worth the cost difference.
Old 03-13-2001, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky:
If you are looking at toolbox, the cost difference to the 001 is minimal. Go for the 001. It really is an amazing tool.
Just to let you in on international commerce: the cost difference in Canada is about 850.00 (~550.00US)
Pretty significant. I had to make the same decision and went with the XP BUT I already had a tube mic pre, comp, eq and small 6 channel mixer with more mic pre amp ... the 001 looks cool, but $$$ Plus I believe you'll have more flexibility ie. add more AIII cards or just expand the mixer. The software is the gem though.

Later
Old 03-13-2001, 06:59 PM

Quickdraw, 18 vs 24. CD's are 16bit ... the difference is fairly negligible. Artist's on a label, doing home recording are using 18 bit with no probs ... the record companies are dithering it to 16bit anyway, as I understand.

If you're recording small amounts of tracks then save the 550.00 US (Cdn equiv) and go with XP