Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2020, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Macintosh moving to ARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwixo View Post
This wildly misstates nothing. My 2012 iMac got upgraded thru Catalina. It will not be available for Big Sur as it’s now obsolete, however my Mac Pro, which while first released in 2013 but wasn’t discontinued until 2018 will still receive several future updates, as will my 2014 MacBook Pro. Their OS availability follows in line with their vintage/obsolete designations typically within 1 year. There are a few outlying machines that may get an 8th year of support and I’ve seen a few end at 6.
Do I need to use simpler words? Do you even understand what is about to happen with the ARM transition?

None of what you are going on about is relevant to this thread talking about what might happened in an architecture transition. If you want to state conclusions from past behavior you need to at least be looking at what happened with past architecture transitions. You are looking at updates that do not involve any architecture transitions and trying to draw conclusions about architecture transitions. It's not relevant.

No credible analyst/apple ecosystem pundit expect new OS support on Intel for anything like the number of years you are talking about. And it's a hot question, those folks cannot get Apple execs to give *any* commitment for how many years that support will be provided. But why are so many experts asking those questions when they could just ask you? Obviously everybody else is stupid.