Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2018, 07:37 PM

Default Bounced File Problem

When I bounce my session the resulting wav file sounds muddy, noisy, and muffled compared to playback of the session within Pro Tools 2018.4. I tried an internal bus bounce that created a file within Pro Tools. This file plays back normally within Pro Tools but has the same distortion when played outside of Pro Tools. Any ideas on how to get a bounced file that sounds like the playback from within Pro Tools? Playing the bounced file on a different computer gets the same distorted result. Not sure if this is related to my use of ASIO4ALL.

Realtek Audio driver on Inspiron running Windows 10. The session was 24 bit, 44100 Hz.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Bounced File Problem

Also, I used a master fader and there was no clipping, so that seems to not be the issue.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:03 PM

I think it matters where you actually initiate the bounce. It's possible to bounce the tracks without engaging the master, which would probably affect the sound. If you bounce from File > Bounce to, this should go through the master fader. If that doesn't work, you might try bouncing in real-time so you can listen during the bounce and see if anything weird is happening.

Also, are you sure that you are listening to the bounced track at the same volume as within Pro Tools? Don't underestimate how much simply hearing a track at a lower volume can affect your perception.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:20 PM

Thanks. I bounced from File:Bounce To Disk. I also have listened at the same volumes. I'll try bouncing again in real time and listen while it's happening to see if I hear the distortion.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:07 AM

Check your Bounce Source in the Bounce Dialogue. If mine is on a physical output, the audio is not good, if it's Analog 1-2 it's fine.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 06-21-2018, 04:22 PM

I've tried both the physical output and the bus, with no luck.

After doing some further research and experimentation, it seems the issue is that the audio sounds better when using ASIO4ALL or WASAPI than it does when using my default Windows driver. This is apparently because the default Windows software includes some processing that changes the sound from what it was when played back through PT (or through Sound Forge if using the built-in ASIO or ASIO4ALL). One of the main things that is affected is the stereo balance, with the right channel weakened and less clear.

I assume that when most other people play my file back on SoundCloud they'll hear the inferior version. This raises the question of whether there's anything I can do to the file to make it sound more like the better version when played without ASIO or WASAPI. It seems like when working in PT I can't hear the inferior version, so it's difficult to make adjustments within PT that would help that version. Any thoughts?
Old 06-21-2018, 05:07 PM

Maybe go thru Sound Properties and see if the on-board sound card is using some crap(like EQ or spatial enhancement). As for me, my bounces played back in WMP sound exactly as the session sounds. Having said that, I must also say that I am no fan of ASIO4ALL and no fan of using the computer sound card with Pro Tools(just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean its a good idea)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-22-2018, 10:14 AM

What Dave said about onboard soundcards. For $100 or so you can get a small interface that takes the onboard soundcard out of the equation. Personally, I would not go with Focusrite as their Windows drivers are hit and miss. The Mackie Artist or Blackjack or one of the small Steinberg interfaces should be fine. Just don't use the interface for Windows sounds/audio; set your onboard soundcard as the default for that.

And you need to do ALL the Avid optimizations too.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction