Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 05-09-2020, 03:59 PM

Default Re: S1 knob always writing

It's completely unacceptable. I will have to make the social media rounds and warn our community not to be scammed by avid on this product since they have taken zero responsibility in letting their customers know the product is a lemon.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:29 PM
Avid

I'm sorry you are having issues with your S1. It's true that there have been a couple of hardware issues with some units(caused by a bad 3rd party chip) but we also have many thousands of satisfied customers. Avid has been proactive and replaced any faulty units with advanced replacements. Check out the Avid Control Surfaces Facebook page or the reviews on Pro Tools Expert or Sound on Sound.

There are a number of things to try if it's not connecting. Firstly when you power up the S1 do you see the 8 flashing green Leds and then the Avid logos? How are you connected to the Workstation?

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
I'm sorry you are having issues with your S1. It's true that there have been a couple of hardware issues with some units(caused by a bad 3rd party chip) but we also have many thousands of satisfied customers. Avid has been proactive and replaced any faulty units with advanced replacements. Check out the Avid Control Surfaces Facebook page or the reviews on Pro Tools Expert or Sound on Sound.

There are a number of things to try if it's not connecting. Firstly when you power up the S1 do you see the 8 flashing green Leds and then the Avid logos? How are you connected to the Workstation?

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
I was a satisfied customer for a few weeks too before I realized what was going with the thing. I'm skeptical there are thousands of units functioning properly. Every professional I know that has one is dealing with this.

My replacement lights up green, then the AVID, no fader jump, no communication with Eucontrol. Connected via ethernet/usb-c adapter to macbook pro. This is not how the original unit initiated. Can't update firmware without eucontrol.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:31 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdale View Post
My replacement lights up green, then the AVID, no fader jump, no communication with Eucontrol. Connected via ethernet/usb-c adapter to macbook pro. This is not how the original unit initiated. Can't update firmware without eucontrol.
FYI: The faders don't jump on the S1 when turning it on.

Are the lights on the USB to Ethernet flashing? Can you check to make sure the S1 isn't setup for a Static IP Appendix B: Setting IP Addresses of the S1 Guide.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
FYI: The faders don't jump on the S1 when turning it on.
FYI: Page 8 S1 User Guide:

6 Press the power switch on the back of the S1 to the “on” position. The faders jump and the LEDs blink during initialization.

Quote:
Are the lights on the USB to Ethernet flashing? Can you check to make sure the S1 isn't setup for a Static IP Appendix B: Setting IP Addresses of the S1 Guide.
there are no lights on the adapter itself. it's functioning however. also tested ethernet cable.

the IP Address setting is set to "Use DHCP (yes default)"
Old 05-11-2020, 09:10 AM
Avid

Thanks, I'll get the guide updated. We removed a lot of the non essential fader moves in later firmware.
Other things to try if you havent already is make sure the adapter setting in the Mac are also set to DHCP, and if you have one try another Ethernet port.

If EuControl is set to auto start try it manually instead.

If none of this works Avid would be happy to swap out with a new one.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:25 AM

Just writing to let Eddie know that my 3rd replacement unit finally does not seem to have the always-writing pot issue!
Old 05-30-2020, 08:01 PM

Sadly, having the same issue here after 5 months of use.
Will be contacting my reseller to see if I can get a replacement unit...
Old 07-23-2020, 02:51 PM

I'm experiencing this as well. I was wondering why attention kept getting pulled to the wrong track unexpectedly. Then today out of the corner of my eye I saw the pan parameter flickering, noticed it was pot 4 which I've seen referenced on the forum here numerous times. My local dealer offered to swap the unit for a new one and otherwise I've been very happy with the S1. Not a huge deal at the end of the day but I think I've decided to add the extended warranty to my account now, just to be safe.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:06 AM

So I got my replacement S1 today. I didn't have the original packaging so the store let me trade in the control surface only and they'll send my old one back in the box from the new one with all the included cables and accessories still in their packaging.

I've plugged the new one into the same ethernet and power cables I had dressed in from before but the thing will not show up in EuControl. How do I fix this?

When I power on the S1 the green LEDs in the In buttons flash until the AVID logo appears on the OLED channel strip displays. Nothing registers in EuControl Settings. My Avid Control tablets show up as normal.

FOLLOWUP EDIT:
I was able to get the S1 to show up by bypassing the router and connecting directly to my workstation. From there I could update the firmware. Since doing that I can connect through the router and it comes up in EuControl Settings as it should.

Last edited by JingleDjango; 07-24-2020 at 01:33 PM.