Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 08-02-2018, 10:41 AM

Default How to Move Sample Libraries to an External Drive

I have six or seven sample libraries that are 10 GB or so each, and I'd like to save space on my iMac's hard drive by moving them to an external drive. I have a Glyph SSD external drive.

A lot of the suggestions I've come across have suggested using the plugin provider's own software to relocate the sample folders, but Sonivox doesn't offer any software like that.

I've tried using alias files and symbolic links, but I must be using them wrong. Can anyone walk me through the process with exact steps? Thanks in advance!

L
Old 08-02-2018, 11:00 AM

Default Re: How to Move Sample Libraries to an External Drive

Move it to you External; rename the original folder (for now)

Create a shortcut from the new location, & place it in the original location; make sure to delete "alias" or "shortcut" from the name.

You may not even need the shortcuts, as most software will just say "it can't locate,,,,,,,,," & then you just point to the new location...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 08-02-2018, 04:27 PM

Thanks for your reply!

After placing the alias folder in the original location and opening Pro Tools, it does give me the "Samples are missing" dialogue box. I clicked on "locate" and then went to the new location, but instead of letting me select the entire samples folder as the new location, it wants me to select an individual .wav file for a single note.

If I choose any file from the folder in it's new location, will PT automatically search in that folder for all the rest of the samples?
Old 08-02-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennial Falcon View Post
Thanks for your reply!

After placing the alias folder in the original location and opening Pro Tools, it does give me the "Samples are missing" dialogue box. I clicked on "locate" and then went to the new location, but instead of letting me select the entire samples folder as the new location, it wants me to select an individual .wav file for a single note.

If I choose any file from the folder in it's new location, will PT automatically search in that folder for all the rest of the samples?
Delete the alias folder and just have the samples in the new location. And as Mr. Beeetsss says just point the vi to the new location. Most vi's will allow that to happen and you need to do that within the preferences of the vi in question. You may need to reboot the computer for everything to be seen in the new location.

And to Key:
Missed you around here. There's been a couple of threads asking about 'on eim' and Tamara and hobos. Would have thought you'd chime in on those. The poster starting those threads is a bit of a troll if you ask me.

edit for additional:
I see you chimed in one the one thread. Mightyduck (who used to be here as masterduk and other screen names) is the instigator I was referring to.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 08-02-2018 at 05:32 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-02-2018, 07:16 PM

Update:

I moved each of the libraries over to the external drive and pointed the VI's to them in an empty Pro Tools session, and they worked great. Loaded much faster than they had on my computer, and all the sounds were there.

BUT, after exiting the session, Pro Tools crashes every time it tries to load any session that has used those plugins.

Do you know how to correct that?
Old 08-02-2018, 08:55 PM

I'm not sure why that'd happen myself. Try a new session, & import the data & see what happens with that...

& yeah @musicman, I remember him well! He hadn't changed any I see

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)