Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2010, 11:04 AM

Default Pro Tools Acting Sluggish..

Hello, I am working on my PT HD 3 Rig, which I have been using for over 6 years.. I have it connected to a G5 Dual 2.5 with 4GB of Ram on Mac OS 10.5.8..

I noticed recently that PT has been acting sluggish during sessions regardless of how big or small the session is.. It's taking an extra second, sometimes 2-3 extra seconds to perform menial tasks such as.. dropping the marker infront of a region for playback, deleting regions, and clicking on menus just to name a few.. I I have tried changing the playback engine buffer size to see if that helps which it did not.. I also tried repairing disk permissions on the OS.. nothing seems to get my system to run smoothly.. What else could you recommend to alleviate this problem.. Maybe it's something simple that I am just forgetting about.. Thanks in advance.. Brett
Old 10-04-2010, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Acting Sluggish..

Do you leave your computer on at night? If not, it's possible that your OS has not had any file maintenance for years, which slows everything down a lot. (The Unix file maintenance routines run automatically at night) There are many file maintenance apps; I use MacJanitor (http://macjanitor.en.softonic.com/mac) when things start to slow down, and that usually takes care of it.

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto
Old 10-04-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Keyes View Post
Do you leave your computer on at night? If not, it's possible that your OS has not had any file maintenance for years, which slows everything down a lot. (The Unix file maintenance routines run automatically at night) There are many file maintenance apps; I use MacJanitor (http://macjanitor.en.softonic.com/mac) when things start to slow down, and that usually takes care of it.

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto
I leave myMac on every night. And I can definitely confirm that PT is getting sluggish. Hitting Space to play used to be fast as h*** and now even at 128 samples in H/W it takes about a second before old tools will start to play...

All those NEEEEEEW features... Where all we want is stability and ease of use....

AVID please, hold back on the new features and take ALL THOSE OLD and NOT SO WELL WORKING features from prior versions and make them WORK as intended...

need i say.....

rtas
workspace
protools not being able to sort 1 before 10
etc etc etc

All this software is getting pathetic.... As computers increase their power software makers increase their bugs. HA
Old 10-04-2010, 02:01 PM

25G you may be right, but I got the impression from the OP that he was describing a new behaviour from an old rig - he didn't mention any upgrades or updates that might be contributing factors.

Also, on your list of long-standing gripes you forgot Key Command For New Playlist..!

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto
Old 10-04-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Keyes View Post
25G you may be right, but I got the impression from the OP that he was describing a new behaviour from an old rig - he didn't mention any upgrades or updates that might be contributing factors.

Also, on your list of long-standing gripes you forgot Key Command For New Playlist..!

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto
re-reading his post I have to agree with you...

Perhaps, OP, you should try to delete all digi databases and erase some preferences. THere is a wonderful app on the top (free download) of this forum which does it all...

Hope this helps.