Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 09:59 AM

Default 30\" LCD - Dell vs. Apple?

I've read all the rants/raves of Apple vs. Dell for the 30" LCD -- and there's only one reason that I would even consider the Apple (and pissing away $700): noisefloor

All the reviews state that the Apple is essentially silent, but the Dell is "louder"...

Anyone have experience with the Dell 3007WFP in an audio environment, and will I notice it?

Is it a FAN that's loud, or is it the power supply or ?? What is "louder" about the Dell.

I have a G5 2.7DP with a compatible video card, so no worries there... I have getting deep into FCP and I am craving a VERY long timeline AND the VETICAL that 2560 x 1600 will give me (I am currently running 2x 1280x1024 and I don't like to span the timeline over 2 displays)

Anyone have a real-world yea/nea on the Dell 3007WFP vs. Apple 30"?

Thanks,

jr
Old 01-11-2007, 10:21 AM

Default Re: 30\" LCD - Dell vs. Apple?

Hey Jeremy
Maybe you are already aware of this:
One other thing to check out (FCP boards or even the DUC Post forum) is that the newer Apple displays are not accurately color balanced. Something about being off in the Magenta. That is what I was told from two FCP editors I know.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:23 PM

I got a dell 30" last year.
the price was a good factor and also the response time of the Dell was faster than the apple
Old 01-16-2007, 03:26 PM

Things really seem to be happening rapidly on the large screen LCD monitor landscape, with prices dropping through the floor. I haven't gotten it yet, but I just ordered several of the new Acer 26" AL2616WD monitors @ $730 ea. (including free 3 day Fedex shipping). The initial units of this model got good reviews for picture quality, speed and brightness with the exception of the fact that there was some issue with DVI hook-up at 1900 x 1200. The problem is supposedly corrected in the units shipping from this point on.

I'll be using two of these 26" monitors side by side. 30" would have been nice, but two of those side by side would have placed my nearfield monitors too far apart for the ideal equilateral triangle between the monitors and a person's head at mix position. How are those of you using 30" monitors dealing with this (or are you using a single monitor)?

What's amazing to me is that three of these 26" monitors, with free shipping, are going to cost me less than a 21" CRT monitor I bought not all that long ago. They must have made some big strides recently in producing larger LCDs.

Anyone need some 21" CRT monitors?

Lee Blaske