Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2003, 04:05 PM

Default Pro Tools le 6.0 (and 6.0.1) hangs on "setting up Midi"-- then unexpectedly quits

Ive got a weird one. I've called twice to the techs and have exhausted their ideas.

Mac G4 800mhz 768
OSX 10.2.5 PTle 6.0.1

Apple Midi Setup utility is causing this hang up. If I start it separately then there is never a crash on startup of PTle, but if not, the Protools always unexpectedly quits the first startup then if I start up again functions normally.

Digidesign has told me that the problem must be some plugin or something other than their hardware or software....go figure. So i did what they asked...

But I never had problems in OS 9.2.2. And the Waves plugins seem to function flawlessly when installed.

OK so I did what they said (twice just to be sure). I zeroed the drive and installed a pristine system folder (OSX 10.2.5) with NO extra apps or plugins. Then I installed PTle 6, tried that and it hung up and crashed, then tried 6.0.1 and it did as well.

(Yes DIGI, I first dumped the preferences and the system setup is as outlined in your compatibility docs.)

So the crash logs indicate that PTle crashed on thread 0, everytime the crash occured.

Thanks for your input guys.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools le 6.0 (and 6.0.1) hangs on "setting up Midi"-- then unexpectedly quits

Pro tools quits unexpectedly "solution"

At least it was for me, and it was NOT found on THIS site by my eyeballs, but I will be corrected I am sure. But it bears mentioning NONE THE LESS!

Recent Mac systems operate with a 64bit processor by default, and Pro Tools is a 32Bit program. They will "somewhat" work together for a week or so, but with some wonky results. DAW errors, tracking lines are off by an inch, and eventually the crashes come on

To put your Mac in 32 bit mode, hold down the "3" and the "2" key together while booting up. It will stay in 32 bit mode from then on.

To go back to 64bit mode, hold down the "6" and the "4" at the same time while booting up and you are back(why, I dont know, if you are using pro tools)

That took me 2 weeks to solve, but my updated LE8.0.4cs is working like a champ.

I dont wanna be a geek, I just wanna make music....

Adam
http://www.youtube.com/user/tx644

Mac I7, 2.93ghz, 4GB ram, MBox2

P.S.//// 32 bit mode only uses so much RAM, so if you have 4 GB of ram, YOU ARE GOOD TO GO! Do not waste your money on bigger chips(like I Did)

Until you are running 64bit Music Software, save your money for bribing the A&R guy's friend's friend. LOL
Old 11-19-2010, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools le 6.0 (and 6.0.1) hangs on "setting up Midi"-- then unexpectedly quits

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamArnold View Post
Pro tools quits unexpectedly "solution"

At least it was for me, and it was NOT found on THIS site by my eyeballs, but I will be corrected I am sure. But it bears mentioning NONE THE LESS!

Recent Mac systems operate with a 64bit processor by default, and Pro Tools is a 32Bit program. They will "somewhat" work together for a week or so, but with some wonky results. DAW errors, tracking lines are off by an inch, and eventually the crashes come on

To put your Mac in 32 bit mode, hold down the "3" and the "2" key together while booting up. It will stay in 32 bit mode from then on.

To go back to 64bit mode, hold down the "6" and the "4" at the same time while booting up and you are back(why, I dont know, if you are using pro tools)

That took me 2 weeks to solve, but my updated LE8.0.4cs is working like a champ.

I dont wanna be a geek, I just wanna make music....

Adam
http://www.youtube.com/user/tx644

Mac I7, 2.93ghz, 4GB ram, MBox2

P.S.//// 32 bit mode only uses so much RAM, so if you have 4 GB of ram, YOU ARE GOOD TO GO! Do not waste your money on bigger chips(like I Did)

Until you are running 64bit Music Software, save your money for bribing the A&R guy's friend's friend. LOL

Your replying to 7 year old thread that was posted about two years before Apple even had 64bit processors. I realize your trying to be helpful but I dont think it has a thing to do with the OP's problem.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-19-2010, 09:15 PM

:conf used:

This might be the strangest thread I've ever seen!!!