Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-11-2005, 08:56 AM

Default instrument channel only 1 midi track

hmm maybe i'm asking something stupid or its RTFM but:
how about more midi channels per instr track?
the whole orch. under one fader?
Old 11-11-2005, 09:18 AM

Default Re: instrument channel only 1 midi track

Add additional midi only tracks and assign to that instrument. For instruments with muti-outputs add new aux tracks and assign the appropriate Plug-ins out to the tracks input.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:26 PM

The inst tracks can be useful for some workflow methods, but for some, it just gets in the way.

For example: You build up a nice multi-timbral instance of mach5 -- sent to multiple audio outs and fed by many midi tracks... an instrument track is meaningless... you still need a bunch of midi tracks and a bunch of aux ins.

However, for a single sound instrument, it's nice to combine audio automation overlayed on the midi. I may use isnt tracks for incoming lightpipe from my giga machine...

Too soon to make judgment... must use it for at least a day.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:30 PM

Yeah I got excited about Instrument tracks until I discovered they were only good for one channel.
Back to midi tracks and Aux's all over the place. Oh well.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:52 PM
Avid

You can set a multi-out instrument this way;

1. Instanciate instrument on track.
2. Set up different channels in the plug in.
3. Create more instrument tracks.
4. Set audio input of track to extra plug in outs.
5. Set midi output channel to channels of the plug in.

So, instead of instanciating multiple instances of the plug in, use the audio input of the instrument track to feed it. I hope this makes some sense...

Gil
Old 11-11-2005, 05:15 PM

Quote:
You can set a multi-out instrument this way;

1. Instanciate instrument on track.
2. Set up different channels in the plug in.
3. Create more instrument tracks.
4. Set audio input of track to extra plug in outs.
5. Set midi output channel to channels of the plug in.

So, instead of instanciating multiple instances of the plug in, use the audio input of the instrument track to feed it. I hope this makes some sense...

Gil
But that's the same messy method that we used before "Instrument" tracks. I think you have just replaced midi tracks with instrument tracks. Still the same amount of tracks as before unless I'm missing something.
I'm assuming everyone knows how to use a multi timbral plug. This is common knowledge since Adam was a wee lad.
Although I think you might be talking about hardware multi timbral instruments?
After reading the manual it seems that Instrument tracks have been really designed for outboard hardware and not for multi timb plugs.
Obviously we save a midi track when using a single non multi VI which is great.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:38 PM

Phil,

You can use an instrument track in multi-timbral mode (that is, you can have a plugin such as machfive, with many midi channels) - but only the first midi channel is part of the instrument track (unless you are building up a stacked sound, and you want to send the output of the inst track midi many places, which you can do) -- but the kicker that you get, but some don't, is that for multi-OUTPUT use, you still have to make a bunch of auxes. And for multi-part midi, you are still making a bunch of midi tracks.

Again in English - you can build a multi-part, multi-out plug in an inst track, but you will also need an equal number of midi tracks and aux ins for the extra parts.

OR - you can use instrument tracks, with 1 inst track replacing a combo of 1 aux + 1 midi (route midi to the virtual inst, and return audio from the bus that instrument is sending to).

NOW -- I have no issue with this. I never did. I just never gave the weight of "instrument tracks" the way the logic users seemed to crave them. Remember, logic users don't do mutli-timbral (at least they didn't use to) and their paradigm was about the midi notes.

MY paradigm is the sounds. Where are they, how can I manipulate the audio path? Give me midi tracks to send to the sounds.

I'll probaly use the new inst tracks for single sound, single part midi. I like the concept of audio automation over midi. HOWEVER -- i frequently edit midi volume -- can't do that with a fader anymore -- unless you use a midi track.

After using PT7 for 1/2 a day, I say instrument tracks are nice to have, but probably not worth the amount of work that went into coding it. I'd rather see bug fixes and a more stable platform... but I'm not the marketing guy trying to compete with Logic user's mentality.

Let me revisit this in a week... my opinion may change with more hours in the chair.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Avid

[/QUOTE]

But that's the same messy method that we used before "Instrument" tracks. I think you have just replaced midi tracks with instrument tracks. Still the same amount of tracks as before unless I'm missing something.
I'm assuming everyone knows how to use a multi timbral plug. This is common knowledge since Adam was a wee lad.
After reading the manual it seems that Instrument tracks have been really designed for outboard hardware and not for multi timb plugs.

[/QUOTE]

I am talking about multi-timbral, multi output plug ins. Here is an example;

1. Instanciate Stylus RMX on an instrument track. Assign a patch to both parts 1 and 2. The midi output assignment should be assigned to RMX channel 1.
2. With in the mixer window of the plug in, assign the second part to stereo out 2.
3. Create another instrument track.
4. Assign the midi output to RMX channel 2.
5. Set the audio input to RMX stereo 2 (or RMX 3/4, not sure which it is).
6. Record arm the second instrument track and play some notes. You should hear output from the second instrument track.

So in this example, instead of having 4 tracks as you would have in 6.9, you only need 2.

Insert your favorite multi-timbral, multi-output plug in.

Gil
Old 11-11-2005, 06:25 PM

This is my take on the above mentioned set up.

Inst Trk #1 Kontakt2 piano (midi rec and listen)(K2 outputs St.1)
Inst Trk #2 Bass inst-out to & from the #1 Kontakt Multi above (midi rec and listen)(K2 outputs St.2)
Inst Trk #3 Guitar inst-out to & from the #1 Kontakt above (midi rec and listen)(K2 outputs St.3 )
ect...
Group the set and save the Multi. in K2. This works well and is very stable.
3rd day now and no issues but the Arturia products. Even after the Arturia CS80v crashes Pt’s7 a simple re-launch works.

Now to track (Once set then use as templates) Have pre-fader sends assigned @ unity to your record tracks. Mute the sources and rec. enable the record tracks,
Work the instruments outputs for record levels.
Alternatively send the main outputs the the bus but the send-way allows for easy rewrites of parts with no need for re-bussing. Just un-mute the K2 group edit or make a new midi-lane (Play list)

All in all after two decent size arrangements heavy with instruments, the work flow for me is streamlined quite well.
Now it feels more like when I’m connected to my Reason/Rewire 32 ch templates.
Load from templates, set the sounds and flow.

Seemed weird at first but came together quickly.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:23 PM

Quote:

[/QUOTE]

I am talking about multi-timbral, multi output plug ins. Here is an example;

1. Instanciate Stylus RMX on an instrument track. Assign a patch to both parts 1 and 2. The midi output assignment should be assigned to RMX channel 1.
2. With in the mixer window of the plug in, assign the second part to stereo out 2.
3. Create another instrument track.
4. Assign the midi output to RMX channel 2.
5. Set the audio input to RMX stereo 2 (or RMX 3/4, not sure which it is).
6. Record arm the second instrument track and play some notes. You should hear output from the second instrument track.

So in this example, instead of having 4 tracks as you would have in 6.9, you only need 2.

Insert your favorite multi-timbral, multi-output plug in.

Gil

[/QUOTE]

Very cool. Thankyou for that. Things will be much tidier than before. I read the what's new in PT7 but there must be a better explanation in the reference guide.
Thanks again for clearing that up.