Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-01-2004, 02:50 PM

Default quick opinion on PTLE MIDI capabilities?

i've heard from people that PT's midi capabilites aren't all that. i do most of my sequencing on REASON, then import audio files, so i haven't actually used the PT midi stuff very much, just a little fooling around.

i'm just curious to hear people's thoughts on this issue. if PT is lacking in the MIDI department, what exactly is it missing? or is it more of a preference issue (other programs may have easier GUIs)?

a penny for your thoughts, please

ry
Old 08-01-2004, 03:02 PM

Default Re: quick opinion on PTLE MIDI capabilities?

Protools MIDI is fine. I use Logic as well, and there's a lot more bells and whistles in Logic. I have to admit that I don't use all the MIDI stuff in Logic, and the only thing I've used in Logic that PTLE doesn't have is the pitch to MIDI function. Also, the humanize function in Logic can actually work sometimes, unlike PT. Other than that, PTLE has enough MIDI horsepower to get just about any project done. You can always do your sequencing in another program or machine and import the results.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:09 PM

Heres my penny. It's missing a lot in the MIDI department. No serious groove quantize functions, No delete doubles function( If loop recording, lets say a drum groove, other programs allow you to delete duplicate events that start on the same clock number. With ProTools you'll be editing these babies one at a time. No midi plugins. I personally due what is suggested by MPARK9000. I due my MIDI in another program then import Standard Midi Files into ProTools and it works great. Rumor is that ProTools 7 will have a substantial MIDI re-write. We'll see. For most MIDI application though, you should be able to do just about anything you need . ProTools MIDI looks a lot like MASTERTRACKS PRO 6. However, I could never recommend that program. I bought it a year ago and I'm still waiting for an update to make the program work with my Miditimepiece Av. Hope this penny helps.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:15 PM

I've found the same thing. It's missing things that I'm used to accessing in Cubase SX, but there's always a way round it and I find that I do most of my work in PT now because I don't mind doing a bit of leg-work to get the results. Put it this way... other programs might make some tasks easier and quicker to perform, but you can get the same results using PT MIDI... the complicated tasks just might take a bit longer. Should I be making obvious comparisons to the amount of time and effort it took to perform even simple editing tasks before the advent of DAWs?
Old 08-01-2004, 05:47 PM

Righton got it right !! If we would simply learn "A" program like the back of our hand, then we would always find a way to to get the software to do what we need to do. Guess what? I had Cubase first so that's what I know a little better at this point. However, I'm sure I will eventually say things like: Wow!! I did'nt know it did that, I could have been doing it like this the whole time!!Get my point. Eat whatever program your using like a fine steak and you'll be a happy yet productive musician.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Rumor is that ProTools 7 will have a substantial MIDI re-write. We'll see.
This rumor has been around befor every major version cira 4x ie PT 5 was meant to have new midi, same with 6 now 7