Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 09-17-2015, 12:11 PM

Default Clean edits popping after consolidating [resolved]

Here's the scenario: I've got a mix bounce track that I am punching into. I always check the punches to make sure they are clean. After a number of punches I go and consolidate a larger section to clean it up before I export back to AVID. I've discovered that a number of those edits that play cleanly now POP after consolidating. Any idea what could be causing this?

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 09-17-2015, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Clean edits popping after consolidating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Here's the scenario: I've got a mix bounce track that I am punching into. I always check the punches to make sure they are clean. After a number of punches I go and consolidate a larger section to clean it up before I export back to AVID. I've discovered that a number of those edits that play cleanly now POP after consolidating. Any idea what could be causing this?
Have you zoomed in on the edits before and after consolidating to make sure the waveforms are consistent at the edit? It sounds like there may be some kind of shifting of the clips on the timeline going on so that the waveforms aren't lining up properly when consolidating. A crossfade at the edit point might help, but if the clips are somehow getting moved, that's not really a long-term solution.

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 09-17-2015, 12:52 PM

Have you enabled "quantize edits to frame boundaries"?
Old 09-17-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
If you have auto fades enabled in the prefs, it will playback fine but not when consolidated.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
If you have auto fades enabled in the prefs, it will playback fine but not when consolidated.
It was this auto fades pref that was smoothing playback (but not consolidated version). Surprised that PTs doesn't add this xfade when consolidating so they match. Starting another thread on the fact that punch-ins don't match previous records (looks like processing- ie compression etc- "catches up" after the punch in). Seems that it takes about 250 samples after the punch in for the waveforms to match exactly. continuing testing between mix revisions.

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)