Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 04:34 AM

Default 96 I/O patching through Control 24 advice

I am running two 96 I/O units through a Control 24. The mic inputs are fed via a GPO patchbay to the Control 24 mic inputs and then the sends for the 24's line outputs are send via the D-Sub connectors to 1 to 8 TRS analogue in on both 96's.

The top 96 which is our unit 1 has it's input light highlighted and the bottom 96 has it's output light hightlighted. The two units are linked together via a digi-link cable and loop sync.

When I send an input to each channel I can get the first eight mic lines on the 24 through my 96 unit 1 but cannot get mic lines 9 - 16 which are patched to my bottom 96 unit 2 analogue in's. In the Input patching for each channel I am only given the option of routing A 1- 16 with only 1 - 8 working (or my 96 Unit 1).

On the output side, all of the output patching is from B 1 - 16 ( the bottom 96 unit) and all of the outputs work and I get signal.

Am I doing something wrong in terms of patching mic lines 9 - 16 or is there a internal pro tools patch that I need to set up to allow mic lines 9 - 16 to be patched to A 9 - A16 so that they work? Could I swap the input and output card around on the 96's so that one machine holds both inputs and the other holds both outputs?

Thanks and sorry if this is confusing!!

Steve

Powermac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz with 2GB Ram running Pro Tools TDM 7.1 (I think!) with HD Core Card + HD Accel Card, 2x 96 I/O Interfaces and a Control 24 Surface.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:02 AM

Default Re: 96 I/O patching through Control 24 advice

1. Silly question, but how do you have the Loop Synch cables run between the 96 I/O's? There should be two cables run between them. On the back of Unit# 1, the bottom Loop Synch connector should go to the top Loop Synch connector of #2, and on #2, the bottom Loop Synch connector should go to the top Loop Synch connector of #1, creating the synch loop.

When Pro Tools is running, I THINK on I/O #1, the Loop Master light and Int light should be lit (indicating that unit is the master clock and it's using it's internal clock), and on #2 the Loop light should be lit. The 96 I/O manual seems to confirm this, so I'm pretty sure I'm right.

2. In PT, go to Setup -> I/O Setup. Go to the Input, Output, Bus tabs and click the "Set Default" buttons on each. Make sure that both I/O Units are seen in the list of in's, out's and busses. If not, then somethin' ain't hooked up right.

2. The Input light -vs- Output light is just what the level meters on the front of the I/O's are monitoring. Go to (I believe) Setup -> Hardware Setup or if not there, I/O Setup. Somewhere in there is a drop down box to select what those meters monitor for each I/O unit (input or output signal).

IHTH. If someone notices an error in my explanation, feel free to soundly berate me. I'm not at my rig right now, so it's only what I'm seeing on the manuals and what my feeble brain can remember.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:11 AM

Hi,
I was thinking was Chris was saying .. in PT, bring up
Setup I/O and you should be able to see (along the
top) the 16 ins / outs of both 96's .. 8 analog and 8 digital.
Hitting the "set default" will order the I/O
sequentially and should allow you to select the path. As I
recall, you have to "set default" on the In, Out, HW Insert
tabs independently when adding or removing an interface.
If you don't see them .. then I would re-check your cabling
and run the digitest utility and mind the part when it tests
the interfaces. The Hardware Setup dialog can also confirm that
you're talking to the right interface .. the "identify" button makes
sure that "A" is what you think it is, etc.

jeff
Old 08-22-2007, 01:19 AM

Hi there,

Thanks for all the advice I have finally got it working. Part of the problem was the patch and the other was mainly me and understanding the relationship between the C24 mon in and out and patching to the 96's. It all seems to be working, got all my surround sound outputs, all my inputs (line + mic) and all of my outputs (after a bit more repatching and soldering!) I've ran digitest and the cards passed their checks so everything seems good!

I can't seem to find the user manual for the control 24, specifically for figuring out aux routing, sending from C24 etc. Does anyone know where I could find this or am I just being daft and its on the download page on the digi site?

I'm from a live theatre background and so had a massive leap up this last coupla weeks from a Mbox system to a HD 2 system to set up!

Thanks for all the help!

Steve