Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools Software (Mac)

Old 04-04-2018, 12:46 PM

Default dual monitor - mix and edit on separate windows

Hi

I've been googling this issue for hours now, and it still keeps bugging me:

Bought a second display for my macbook pro, running pt 2018.3.0 on a OS 10.13.4 (High Sierra)

I can drag my mix or edit window to the second screen and it will sit there nicely while my session is open. But after having saved, closed and upon returning to pro tools, both windows will open on the same screen.

This is not the biggest issue in the world and Pro tools is running fine, but I know this should be possible. I just, for the heck of it, can't figure out how to have my display settings saved.

I've tried messing about with window configuration list, new configuration and had auto update active configuration on and off... Nothing seems to work though. What am I missing?

Best,
Jeppe
Old 04-04-2018, 12:57 PM

Default Re: dual monitor - mix and edit on separate windows

Hi Jeppe,

I’ve had the same problem before as well. What worked for me is if I slightly resize the Pro Tools windows to be a little smaller so they don’t go to the edge of the monitor screens. If you have the edges of the ProTools edit and mix windows all the way to the edge of the screens I think it can’t tell that they’re supposed to be on different screens and it puts them on the same screen when you restart the session. I can’t say for sure how much I had to resize the windows but you want to see a little bit of your desktop background around all of the edges of the PT windows. Hope that works.

Dave

Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.7
OSX High Sierra 10.13.3
Avid HD Omni
HDX w/Sonnet Echo Express III-D
iMac Pro 10-core, 3 GHz, 64GB
Old 04-04-2018, 01:03 PM

Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for your suggestion. In the meantime I think I might have stumbled on a different solution, that - at least for the time being - seems to work:

Swiping up with three fingers on my touchpad opened "mission control" (Is what I think it's called). I the dragged and dropped the edit window from my primary to my secondary screen, saved it, closed session, opened it up again and... Voila! The edit window sat right where I left it on my secondary screen!

I'm sure it'll be gone tomorrow, but for now this solved it for me.

Edit: Upon closing pro tools completely and re-opening I was back to square one. Fortunately, a combination of Dave's advice and the mission control trick seems to retain the window placement data, even after a reboot.

Last edited by Husmas; 04-04-2018 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Found out more stuff
Old 11-09-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
Hi Jeppe,

I’ve had the same problem before as well. What worked for me is if I slightly resize the Pro Tools windows to be a little smaller so they don’t go to the edge of the monitor screens. If you have the edges of the ProTools edit and mix windows all the way to the edge of the screens I think it can’t tell that they’re supposed to be on different screens and it puts them on the same screen when you restart the session. I can’t say for sure how much I had to resize the windows but you want to see a little bit of your desktop background around all of the edges of the PT windows. Hope that works.

Dave
Thank you for this, Dave. This seems to work on my end. (haven't re-booted the computer, but at least when I close/re-open session it works).
Old 11-10-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
What worked for me is if I slightly resize the Pro Tools windows to be a little smaller so they don’t go to the edge of the monitor screens.

Yep, this is what I have to do. It's a pain, but life goes on...

Chris
Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P / i7 6700K 4.1 GHz / 32GB Crucial DDR4
macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6
Pro Tools HD 2018.7.0
Old 11-21-2018, 01:30 PM

I've had dual 24" before and it was OK, mix on one, edit on the other. Using my MackBook Pro mostly now I got a less than $200 43" 4K TV for a single monitor, if you scale it right it's amazing the way you can spread stuff out and still see. YMMV!
192 Analog I/O w/additional analog input card
192 Digital I/O
PT 12.7.8
Antelope Zen Studio+
Mid-2015 MBP
iPad Pro
GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 TH Motherboard
Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz CPU
32 GB of DDR3 1600
EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 760 Video Card
Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Case
Crucial SSDs various 7200 RPM Drives