Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-18-2013, 10:11 AM

Default Remote Disk naming issues... anyone else?

I am using a drive array to record/mix in Pro Tools with... We noticed that a couple things are interesting and wondered if anyone had any insight...

When we create a new clip and then rename it, it does not give the option to rename the disk file so we can rename the file in the DAW but on the array the file is the same original name.... also we can rename clips the EXACT same name (which you cannot do when working locally).

Another issue we have run into is when we export clips as files and change bit depth from 24 to 16... we have drop outs on certain waveforms. If you bring the clip back into PT it looks fine until you recalculate waveform and then you see parts vanish and on playback are not there anymore.

The only workaround we found is to bounce to disk instead of clip export. We tried to consolidate the tracks before exporting and it helped on one occasion but then we had drop outs on some clips after exporting.

We have tested for corrupt sessions, corrupt files, naming issues, we can export to local disk and no issues...

We are using disk cache but turning it off does nothing.

Pro Tools HD 10.3.2
MAc Pro 2012 Lion
12 core
32GRAM
TDM6
Fiber 4G to drive array
Old 01-18-2013, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Remote Disk naming issues... anyone else?

I just heard that Avid is aware of these issues.... If I find anymore info out I will post it.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
I just heard that Avid is aware of these issues.... If I find anymore info out I will post it.
Please do. Might be good to post this or the updates in the Post and Surround forums since I suspect they are asking more use of network type storage.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-25-2013, 02:48 PM

Ok,

Getting down to the bottom of this.... This issue was fixed for Avids Isis disk array system but is a bug in Facilis Terrablock's software. Facilis is working with development to fix these issues in a upcoming update.

I will let you know when I have installed the update and if all is playing well
Old 01-25-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
Ok,

Getting down to the bottom of this.... This issue was fixed for Avids Isis disk array system but is a bug in Facilis Terrablock's software. Facilis is working with development to fix these issues in a upcoming update.

I will let you know when I have installed the update and if all is playing well
Thank you

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-21-2013, 02:33 AM

Hi there,

I found the same problem in the latest version of protools (10.3.4 HD). When I rename a clip, I no longer see the option to rename the disk file as well.
After renaming a clip, the disk file keeps its original name (as recorded)
Old 03-21-2013, 04:42 AM

ok in my case this is due to a setting in preferences - processing - audiosuite - default file handle.

I've set this to 'whole file' and underneath where it shows the other option 'lenght' it also shows a value, in my case 2 seconds.

Altough the option is NOT set to length, for some reason when the value is set (to anything greater then zero) the audiosuite plugins like for example 'normalize' STILL use this value. From that moment on when I rename a file, I loose the disk file rename option.

When I set the preferences to 'whole file' and underneath where it shows the other option 'lenght' the value to 0 seconds, everythings works as it should...
Old 03-21-2013, 10:53 AM

I was going to say this is a very different beast all together....

In my case the option to rename the disk file does not exist!! I can cgange it in PT session and like I said I can name all clips THE EXACT SAME NAME!! Never seen that in any version of PT before...

I have also done some more research and testing on this and found that Lion OS seems to not have the issue, but Snow Leopard does have this issue. I have only verified this on one Lion system so far (I do not use Mountain Lion in any of the studios or edit suites). However even with Lion OS when we print to track and export the files (either stereo or 5.1) we get drop outs in the render so we have to use bounce to disk to fix the issue.

Facilis is working on a fix in the next update of their software.

Again I will update this thread once they release it and it is verified to fix the issue.