Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2011, 05:43 AM

Default Eleven Rack- No sound on Startup- Help Needed

I was using my Eleven Rack last night and when I fired it up and plugged the guitar in there was no sound. I checked everything, cables, switches etc and still nothing. Rebooted the 11 a couple of times and everything was perfect again. I did a google search for this issue and see that there were some units that had this problem of no sound on startup and in a lot of cases it required replacing the unit. I bought mine used and have transferred ownership of the hardware/software. Is there anything I can do to resolve this?

By the way I’m LOVING the sounds from the 11! Just a little concerned with the reliability.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack- No sound on Startup- Help Needed

Is this when you are running Standalone, or with Pro Tools open, or both?

If its just Pro Tools, then you probably need to default the I/O

If its in standalone and PT, then you need to contact Avid.

The next time this happens, try changing the sample rate and see if the sound comes back. That is a sure sign that the 11R is a lemon.

Contact Avid.

Tel: 650-731-6100
Fax: 650-731-6375

Monday - Thursday 8am-5pm PST, Friday 8am-4pm PST

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-14-2011, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I was using the 11r in standalone mode. I'll try changing the sample rate if this happens again and contact Avid. Thanks again!
Old 09-14-2011, 02:44 PM

Unhappy Re: Eleven Rack- No sound on Startup- Help Needed

Changed the sample rate from 44.1 to 48 and sound came back on. Afraid I do have a lemon on my hands. I called Avid and repair cost is $374. Sounds crazy to me but it is what it is. I'm bummed.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFrench View Post
Changed the sample rate from 44.1 to 48 and sound came back on. Afraid I do have a lemon on my hands. I called Avid and repair cost is $374. Sounds crazy to me but it is what it is. I'm bummed.
That doesnt sound right.

The problem is AVIDs fault, this is a known problem, it does not matter if you bought it first hand or second hand. I would call them again and tell them in no uncertain terms that they WILL fix this for you, since it was their ineptness in quality control that caused the problem in the first place.

Let them know you have plenty of time to post on thousands of different forums how Avid is trying to abscond on their responsibility.

This is a bad move by Avid, if you make a product that has a flaw, you need to bear the cost of fixing that flaw on all sold systems, regardless of owner. Otherwise you have opened yourself up to tons of bad press, when its an easy fix that costs a few bucks.

Well if after you call them again and be confident and stern with them, if they still refuse, let them know they have needlessly bought themselves some bad press, express how disappointed you are that they will not stand behind the product they made, then come back here and ask if someone will give you the instructions to do the fix yourself, I seem to remember it not costing much at all.

Call them again, and ask for the manager, if he says $300, ask for his boss

Good Luck.

The Eleven Rack really is a great piece of gear (when it works)

It just burns my ass when they pull this sh*t.

Maybe they dont HAVE to fix it for free, but as a matter of pride and honesty in their products, they should fix it for you for free.

Once you get this all sorted out and fixed, check out the Eleven Rack Expansion Pack to add even more goodness to the Eleven Rack.

www.avid.com/erxp

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-15-2011, 08:51 PM

I agree with Benoni, Avid became aware of this problem very early after release and that is well documented in threads on this forum.

From what I've witnessed Avid have been very good at replacing units to those who originally bought them and considering their awareness of the problem (from the point of manufacture) it should be no different for second hand buyers either. After all, they were producing and shipping broken units. $374 for repair is about half what the unit costs new...absolutely ridiculous and in my opinion unacceptable!

If you speak to Avid management be sure to let them know that you are aware that they knew about this problem being a manufacturing fault and that you will seek legal advice on where you stand.

This is where large companies often really fail miserably, spending millions on marketing to entice a never ending supply of new customers while not fully standing by their product and ultimately it's reputation.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 09-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Avid

Hi MJFrench,

It definitely sounds like you have a bad unit. I agree that $374 is pretty steep for the repair. I don't know if any exceptions can be made on that. Nonetheless, I do have one suggestion, which might work for you, which is to not get it repaired and only use it at 48kHz.

The majority of the failures I looked at only happened at 44.1kHz, and I didn't see any units that failed at both 44 and 48k, so most likely you could use your 11R at 48k (or 96k) for years to come without any problems. Obviously, not having 44k can be a big issue for some people, but for many others it really doesn't matter. Seems worth considering at least.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend View Post
Obviously, not having 44k can be a big issue for some people, but for many others it really doesn't matter. Seems worth considering at least.
Thats true, i havent left 96k in about 4 months now. Its audibly better than 44.1k.

Though, IMO, he should receive a replacement just as if he bought it off the shelf. Its good press, and good business. A company that stands behind their product can sway many people their way.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-16-2011, 06:24 AM

After I contacted Avid I contacted the gentleman I purchased the 11r from over at TGP. He was not aware of the problems and really went out of his way to be more than nice about the fact that this was a bad unit. He agreed to either immediately refund my purchase and send the 11r back to him or pay the $374 in repairs for me. I chose to send the 11r back to him. In the end it works out for me but I can't help but feel bad for him. I'll end up purchasing an 11r new but he's stuck with the bad unit.

The unit does run at eveything other than 44 so its still usable but the principle of the whole thing bothers me. I do understand from Avids end that warranty issues are tricky at best when you're talking about the used market (software and such is a different animal alltogether) but issues like this that are clearly a manufacturing defect should supercede any policy. Ultimately its best for Avid to have little to no defective units out there so it would be a great customer service/PR move to fix the unit or at least perform the repair at a low cost as $374 seems really high.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFrench View Post
In the end it works out for me but I can't help but feel bad for him. I'll end up purchasing an 11r new but he's stuck withthe bad unit.
Well he should be able to send the Unit in to Avid and have it repaired for free since he is the original owner, if it is registered in his name still.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio