Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2016, 12:50 PM

Default Video Engine Failure?

Hi there, I'm a student in Film, I've taken some classes in Audio Design at my school and I've recently bought ProTools so I can become more effecient with it over the course of the summer.

I've been trying to troubleshoot ProTools on my own with some limited success (when I started out, the Audio output wasn't working at all). As of right now, I have a bit of a glaring issue: the video engine simply will not work, I can't run video playback when I run audio playback, and thus have issues syncing and organizing clips. Whenever I attempt to commence playback when I have a video track active, I get the error message: "The video engine has reported an error. More information is available in the Video Engine log file."

I may be dumb, but I'm having issues finding/displaying this log file. And I'm not sure I would understand the issue even if I did. Could anyone who has had this issue help?

(Also, small issues I have been looking to figure out: How would one have a dedicated window/bar that could show them the output volume? Just to monitor so I could have sound within the db range I'd like. It seems like in the mix window changing the volume has no real effect on the bars.
Also, is there any way that I can run audio/video from other programs while I run ProTools? It seems that booting up the programs stops videos in Chrome and audio in WinAmp to cease completely).

PC Specs, for what they're worth:

Computer Model:
System Manufacturer: ASUS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Video Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Display Memory: 12171 MB
Dedicated Memory: 4008 MB
Shared Memory: 8163 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Direct X Version: 12

Sound Driver: Realtek High Definition Audio

OS Version: Windows 10 Home 64-Bit (10.0, Build 10586)

ProTools Version Number: 12.5.0

Thanks for your time.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Video Engine Failure?

Currently Win 10 is not qualified to run PT12.5 although there are users doing so. Your computer specs should be fine for PT, But you really need to have a separate hard drive to store and run your sessions on, and a separate drive for video is advised as well. I would not expect programmes like Chrome or Winamp to run with PT. Yes there are other audio programmes that can be run with PT via Re-wire. What sort of video files are you trying to run? Have you downloaded and installed the video codecs from your Avid account?
The meters in the Mix window are showing the level of the signal pre fader so are not affected by fader movement. Create a Master fader which will show you the output level. I seriously suggest that you read the comprehensive user manual to help you get the most out of PT. Also have a look at the Additional Resources section of the forum
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 04-26-2016, 04:09 PM

How would one have a dedicated window/bar that could show them the output volume? Just to monitor so I could have sound within the db range I'd like. It seems like in the mix window changing the volume has no real effect on the bars.

Put your meters on "post fader." (Un-check "prefader metering" in options.)

Last edited by sw rec; 04-26-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkBrickson View Post
Hi there, I'm a student in Film, I've taken some classes in Audio Design at my school and I've recently bought ProTools so I can become more effecient with it over the course of the summer.

I've been trying to troubleshoot ProTools on my own with some limited success (when I started out, the Audio output wasn't working at all). As of right now, I have a bit of a glaring issue: the video engine simply will not work, I can't run video playback when I run audio playback, and thus have issues syncing and organizing clips. Whenever I attempt to commence playback when I have a video track active, I get the error message: "The video engine has reported an error. More information is available in the Video Engine log file."

I may be dumb, but I'm having issues finding/displaying this log file. And I'm not sure I would understand the issue even if I did. Could anyone who has had this issue help?

(Also, small issues I have been looking to figure out: How would one have a dedicated window/bar that could show them the output volume? Just to monitor so I could have sound within the db range I'd like. It seems like in the mix window changing the volume has no real effect on the bars.
Also, is there any way that I can run audio/video from other programs while I run ProTools? It seems that booting up the programs stops videos in Chrome and audio in WinAmp to cease completely).

PC Specs, for what they're worth:

Computer Model:
System Manufacturer: ASUS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Video Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Display Memory: 12171 MB
Dedicated Memory: 4008 MB
Shared Memory: 8163 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Direct X Version: 12

Sound Driver: Realtek High Definition Audio

OS Version: Windows 10 Home 64-Bit (10.0, Build 10586)

ProTools Version Number: 12.5.0

Thanks for your time.
In addition to the suggestions that Wizzoboy has made, I was wondering if you are using a separate audio interface. If you are only using the PC's onboard Realtek audio it is unlikely that you will have any luck. There are many interfaces available - you may wish to checkout RME and other manufacturers.

MSI X99A SLI Plus LGA2011, i7 5930 3.5 GHZ 6 core 12 threads, Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4 2400MHZ, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, LG 16x Blu-ray writer, Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD for OS, Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 1 TB SSD for samples, four WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 6Gb/s 7,200 RPM drives (audio, samples, video x 2), EVGA Supernova 750W G2 PSU, Corsair Cooling Hydro H100I V2, W 10 Pro, 4 TB WD USB3 external backup, PT 2020.5, IK Sampletank 4 Max, AIR IEP, Wavelab Pro 10, RME Fireface UFX w USB2 connection.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzoboy View Post
But you really need to have a separate hard drive to store and run your sessions on, and a separate drive for video is advised as well.
My OS is on a seperate drive from the rest of my files, but I will be sure to invest in something for specifically my ProTools sessions/video files.

Quote:
What sort of video files are you trying to run? Have you downloaded and installed the video codecs from your Avid account?
It was rendered in h.264, not by me, handed off to me. I wasn't aware of any codecs available for download through my Avid account, I'll have to take a look for those now...

Quote:
I seriously suggest that you read the comprehensive user manual to help you get the most out of PT. Also have a look at the Additional Resources section of the forum
I'll be sure to, thanks.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:47 PM

Is your OS drive the C: drive? Is Pro Tools installed on the C: drive? All your programs and plug-ins should be on the C: drive, which should be the OS drive. Sessions should be on a separate physical hard drive. Western Digital Caviar Black 64 mb cache is the forum consensus for spinners and Samsung Pro or Evo for SSDs. NO green, blue or other power saving hard drives, and no spinners less than 7,200 RPM.

Check to see what video codecs Pro Tools requires. Get a separate interface for Pro Tools. Do all the Avid recommended optimizations and make sure your onboard sound card is the default for Windows sounds/audio and leave that separate interface you're going to get for Pro Tools only.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction