Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-21-2011, 10:13 AM

Default Structure Free Browser locks up in PT10

So far ProTools 10 is running great with my Duet. The only problem I'm having is with the Structure Free browser bringing on the beach ball of death and then I have to force close. I'm on Lion. Is this happening to anyone else? I'm testing it out on my home computer before I make any jump on my workstation.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Structure Free Browser locks up in PT10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowrange View Post
So far ProTools 10 is running great with my Duet. The only problem I'm having is with the Structure Free browser bringing on the beach ball of death and then I have to force close. I'm on Lion. Is this happening to anyone else? I'm testing it out on my home computer before I make any jump on my workstation.
Lion has a lot of permission 'Problems' at least lots of software have problems

Make sure you are on Lion 7.2 IMPORTANT much more stable

Try to goto

MacHD/Users/Shared/
hit command+i (The info window will pop-up)
go down to Sharing & Permissions

They should be

YourUserName = Read & Write
Staff = read & write
everyone = read & write

then hit "Apply to enclosed items"

You may need to click the Lock icon to gain access

After that open OS X Disk Utility and repair permissions... Then reboot mac and check it out !!!

The following location is where your Favorites reside

MacHD/Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Air/Structure/Favorites

This is where your favorites etc.. are. Anything you want in the browser should reside here in form of an alias... So if you have a folder called i.e. Strings and you want that to pop up in Structure, you could alt+option+drag that folder inside of the favorites folder.

If the folder isn't there, you can create it yourself
Old 10-21-2011, 11:27 AM

I very much appreciate the help but unfortunately that didn't work. Also music toolkit 2 won't install because it says there isn't a valid version of PT.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowrange View Post
I very much appreciate the help but unfortunately that didn't work. Also music toolkit 2 won't install because it says there isn't a valid version of PT.
I was having the same issue (structure browser freezing up, spinning beach ball) and found the solution posted in this forum :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
Nevermind, I found that since Structure Free and Structure want to first browse the root / folder, if any networking ports (Airport or Ethernet) are enabled the browser will hang. You need to disable all networking ports, navigate to a folder other than the root folder, then after that everything works fine.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:24 AM

Just did a fresh install of PTHD on a MacBook Pro and seeing the same crash in Structure Free.

Fresh install of Mac OS 10.8.3 and Avid_Virtual_Instruments_10_3_Installer_77520 and Pro_Tools_10_3_4_Installer_78970.

Loaded up an existing project, opened Structure Free, went to the browser, and spinning ball of doom!.

Thanks to the tip above I fixed the problem by unplugging the network and turning off the airport.

Now I opened the session and opened the plugin and went to the browser without a crash, navigated around. Then quit PT, plugged the network back in and turned on the airport. Re-open the session and now no crash because the browser is still in the folder where I left it last time (even though I didn't save the session).

So, this seems to affect you only if you have a fresh install and have never navigated around the structure browser and have network plugged in?!
Old 03-12-2014, 07:42 PM

Today I found the fix for this bug (after 3-4 frustrating hours). Russ from Pro-Tools-Expert has the solution:

Fix the Structure Browser Hang
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio