Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2019, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools vs Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdi View Post
@jacko Do you miss Audiosuite?
I wish that Reaper would allow to drag and highlight a time selection exactly like PT, so you can narrow down what you are editing, which seems more intuitive to me, and also the audiosuite also seems a good idea, but i think Reaper now has many ways to achieve this now with FX on items?
Old 07-15-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
This probably isn't the worst place to ask this question, or it could actually be the best.. Anyway, I've been thinking of making the switch to Reaper ever since my Annual PT Subscription lapsed and they wanted 3x the cash...so I've been stuck on version 12.4 for who knows how long.

I've also read that Reaper runs much smoother and can load more plugin instances than PT. especially when running the Acoustica Audio Aqua stuff.

Have any of you PT diehards ever tried Reaper and can make an honest comparison? I know it's gonna be a monumental pain in the ass reinstalling all my plugins as .AU files (AU is Mac and VST is windows, right?), but it might be worth it. I'm kicking myself know for only installing the AAX format of plugs.

Just curious to hear from you guys on this

I guess by the vast difference in replies you might have deduced that the answer to your question is almost too individually specific, to be of much use to you personally.

If you are doing audio editing professionally having let your PT laps and the expense of renewing is arguably the worst reason possible to switch.

No doubt (depending entirely in individual workflow preferences and specific learning types and abilities ) that some people will prefer the customization and efficient CPU of Reaper. And again depending entirely on individual may very prefer the workflow (personally for the life of I can't imagine why) but we all are very different in some things .

Also be aware though,,,,, that some favorable replies (may) be more a emotional reaction to PT going subscription and annual costs etc. than actual objective logistical and workflow reasons and be more a matter of self justification for switching than stand back objectivity.

For me when I tried Reaper ( admittedly back in version 3 or 4) try as might to like it .
I found it so counterintuitive , cumbersome , and the nomenclature to be so foreign and useless that I quit trying.

But I am wondering also if age and chronological order of having learned recording may also have something to with preference
Because for those of us who started with tape and analog mixing consoles, I am guessing there is no DAW GUI that is as overall intuitive as PT

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 07-15-2019, 08:32 AM

If you like tweaking/customizing things, reaper might be worth a look. If you just want to keep making music, I would just hold out at 12.4 until you have the extra cash to update. Your clients probably don’t care what version you are running so long as you can deliver your product to them. As Tom said, Pt 12.4 was a very stable release. I ran an outdated tdm system with PT5 as my main rig up until pro tools 9 came out.

Reaper was more interesting as a supplemental program to rewire into Pro Tools back in the pro tools 8 days when everything was 32 bit and you had to run an Avid/Digi interface to be able to run pro tools(there are lots of interesting posts by Shan on this forum on that subject from around 10 years ago). I think Reaper is a powerful program, and very customizable.. but for my needs it is not a full on replacement for pro tools. Keep in mind I have been using Pro Tools since v5 in the early 2000’s and Logic since the same time. Those 2 daws provide me with everything I need, and my time is too valuable to learn a new program.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 07-15-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
But I am wondering also if age and chronological order of having learned recording may also have something to with preference
Because for those of us who started with tape and analog mixing consoles, I am guessing there is no DAW GUI that is as overall intuitive as PT
Interesting point. I originally started recording my music with a 4 track tascam. I often forget that I did spend a lot of time with that thing long before learning pro tools.
But, I don’t think age and chronology of learning is entirely what determines why certain people might prefer a program like reaper. There are certain people who thrive on constantly learning new things and coming up with new ways to do things. When I was younger, I was much more excited about innovating and being on the bleeding edge, and definitely fit into that category. But now my time is so limited I just want to focus on being productive with what I know, and turning my time into money in the most efficient way possible.

I think modern software has 2 main directions it is going:
1. Making something quick and easy (compare logic’s “drummer” tracks to programming and mixing drum samples)
2. Finding a way to pass the time when someone has downtime(social media, most iOS apps/games)
Reaper doesn’t fit in either of these categories, IMHO it’s for a very limited market of users.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 07-19-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
Interesting point. I originally started recording my music with a 4 track tascam. I often forget that I did spend a lot of time with that thing long before learning pro tools.
After using something like PT “that thing” imo would be easily forgotten as great as they were way back then..... they were in fact and I suppose in comparison CRAP to use.... but then again if they were so great someone Waves would invent a 4 track Tascam plug with those wonderful FXs like authentic track bleed (it’s a 4 or 8 track option/ cassette or reel to reel) A “track limiter” (just coz you loved to track bounce and who needs more then 4 or 8 tracks anyway if your a REAL pro

But then again if it wasn’t for my old trusty tascam 4 track Porto studio I prolly would be here in this forum today....
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 08-04-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I've just joined this forum to see how protools has progressed since last using it over 10 years, ago and am thinking of going back as a "delivery software" to send to any PT editors, for TV, Commercials and Film

I jumped to Reaper too, and love it although if we are honest, it does so many things, 10 times over that its a bit of a cluster**** even after spending days on actions and macros customizing it.

My only jump in to this great thread, is that if a lot of you are jumping from Pro tools to Reaper, how do you deliver to people who are working down the line and want PT sessions?

I would like to use Reaper as its quicker and faster, but most Television industry, have no clue what Reaper is. Would I still need PT as an 'end of line' compiler to send out finished cues?
Or do composers/sound designers actually use Reaper and get compatibility with PT?

Just a genuine question before I jump into the Avid waters

I'm a little bit late to the party. I have PT 10 and 11 but Reaper is my DAW. So much easier to use, never crashes etc. Not to mention that downloading an installing an upgrade takes less than 1 minute (ha! not kidding). But I do advise to keep PT because for delivering sessions to most pro users PT is still the standard.

So I can create a soundtrack with VSTs etc. etc. but I'd deliver a PT session, nicely labeled and organized, with comments, etc. There's a great program called AA Translator in case you need convert Reaper sessions to PT session or vice versa.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I've just joined this forum to see how protools has progressed since last using it over 10 years, ago and am thinking of going back as a "delivery software" to send to any PT editors, for TV, Commercials and Film

I jumped to Reaper too, and love it although if we are honest, it does so many things, 10 times over that its a bit of a cluster**** even after spending days on actions and macros customizing it.

My only jump in to this great thread, is that if a lot of you are jumping from Pro tools to Reaper, how do you deliver to people who are working down the line and want PT sessions?

I would like to use Reaper as its quicker and faster, but most Television industry, have no clue what Reaper is. Would I still need PT as an 'end of line' compiler to send out finished cues?
Or do composers/sound designers actually use Reaper and get compatibility with PT?

Just a genuine question before I jump into the Avid waters

This all rings true to me. I was also a PT user for 15 years...then spent years learning and switching between a bunch of other DAWs (S1, Reaper along with Ableton, Bitwig)

I am trying ot get back into PT again for all the reasons you mention, plus i love the automation features, mixing in general and i have a Raven - which in my opinion, is best used with pro tools.

Coming here and seeing so many users upset with the lack of development is concerning. I want to love pro tools and just stick with one DAW. but it is hard when reaper does so much more.

As you say, the fact that reaper does so much can, in fact, be a draw back.
Something about the simplicity and tried and tested workflow of pro tools is really appealing and practical, but there are a large number of things that i would really miss.
Finding it tough to decide whether to stick with it. I want to 'come home' to PT.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:34 PM

Reaper is good DAW for mixing, editing, trimming… But not for Music production.

So we can see that Pro Tools is better because it offers a lot of presets and features than Reaper. It’s better to try them before purchasing what you want.
Software Programming is all about managing complexity: the complexity of the problem laid upon the complexity of the machine. But in the end, it all comes down to 0 and 1. I write about Software Development on my blogs.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
I've been really into the Acoustica Audio Aqua plugs lately. I've read that Reaper can run more instances, and run them much smoother.
You also have to understand how PT and other daws handle the plugins. In the Past the Name RTAS actually suited well on how PT handles the plugin as REAL time, meaning they are not packet of information that are being sent as a bunch, like what VST plugins or AU plugins does, but every bit was process in real time. That could mean a bit more cpu hog but it was more sample accurate. Now as far as I know, the same still apples with AAX plugins. So while yes vsts and au plugins can be often loaded in superior numbers, the batch processing means that they can also behave differently compared to their aax counterparts especially when it comes time to automate the plugins settings.

Wave-T.com