Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2000, 02:18 PM

Default ntsc to pal:out to a da88?

Is there a way to convert ntsc to pal back out to a da88? I captured the files thru the da88 into a project frame rate of 29.97ND and
then from the pull down selected 25fps but this didn't work. I've read some posts where people have a converter box. Is there a way PT does the conversion with out a box? I believe my option in PT might be TCE and figure out the math. Is there even a format for PAL on the da88?Thanks...
Old 12-27-2000, 07:34 PM

Default Re: ntsc to pal:out to a da88?

If your video is NTSC, I'd do it as an NTSC project and have a house worry about the conversion. I do not think you can do this reliably in PT, unless it is a very short piece.
-COCO
Old 12-27-2000, 08:31 PM

I'll agree with Coco. The DA-88 can do 25 frame TC, and will reference to a PAL blackburst box, but the timecode conversion I think will be trouble. If you try to lock the DA-88 up to the wrong timecode, you'll get an error message.Couple years back, I did a movie that had an (almost) all-British sound crew, and, when they came to LA to finish the sound editorial and dub, they brought a bunch of PAL VTR's and blackburst boxes, no problem. Good luck, and let us know how you solved it!

------------------
Joe Milner
Puget Sound
Los Angeles

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 01-11-2001, 03:45 PM

I hooked up the pal sync to PT and still did not work. I got PT in 25 frame mode as well as the DA. I used TCE to do the conversion from 30 to 25 and that did work but when syncing up to picture the front half was in sync but the back end was out by a few frames. I'm baffled why the front was in but not the back. Well I tried TCE for a few hours but none of the math seemed to work. Long story short,we sent out the DA's to a post house that did the converson with a converter box. Thanks for all you inputs and chances are will have to get a converter if we want to do PAL. See ya...
Brian
Old 01-11-2001, 07:28 PM

We do many NTSC to PAL standards conversions. the speed variance between NTSC to Pal film speeds is 4 or 4.17%. You can do a time compression by setting the ratio to 0.960:1 or
0.958:1 when you are going NTSC to PAL.

From Pal to NTSC it is 1.040:1

That is only if you are working from true Pal and NTSC film transfers. If you are working from a conversion master (one that has been run through a conversion box but not truely transferred at the respective PAL or NTSC film rates) then the difference should be either Plus or minus .1 % (1.010:1 or 0.990:1)

Hope this makes sense.