Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2001, 07:47 PM

Default running my PT mix or indiv. tracks through a 2track

Hey everyone, wanted to ask for help in how to run individual tracks or my whole damn mix through analog 2track (1/4 inch). I got a rock band recorded in PT (LE, actually, through a 001). For tracking, it's mainly been through Aphex Tubessence Pres (and the studio's Eurodesk pres, uh hum), so that is not looking very good. I am in Paraguay, by the way, and renting vintage kind of gear (like a solid tube compressor -as in the descriptive sense and not "solid state" or any kind of really good compressor or preamp for that matter) is virtually and realistically impossible. So my choicees are running my stuff through my bombfactory plugins, which will transform the sound somewhat, or the possibility of borrowing a well kept analog 2 track (I could do both).

In case of the latter, how would I go about "processing" indiv. tracks or the whole mix? Do I just run it through to a DAT, for example, while the tape runs, or do I have to record each track onto the tape? If I just have to run it through, I could run each track through it and have a possibly somewhat warmer mix (at least the drums and guits). But if I gotta record each one of the tracks to tape and then play it back into PT, I don't think I would have the time (would take me twice the time, and I gotta haul ass, cuz people's time is short, unfortunately). I could leave it the way it is, but where would my commitment to higher quality and more satisfying art in the hearing department be?

Sorry for this non-TDM question, but you guys are the ones with experience. And I got a lot to learn from you.

Thanks and Saludos!

Juergen

[This message has been edited by Juergen (edited January 10, 2001).]
Old 01-11-2001, 03:31 PM

Default Re: running my PT mix or indiv. tracks through a 2track

run a pass with the 2 track on an insert and bounce to disc. line up the bounce on a new track or stereo pair to compensate for the playback head delay. make sure your bounce is a bit longer so you don't chop off the tape delayed sound. send just guit or drum submix to that insert. does this help, or did you do this already?
COCO
Old 01-11-2001, 03:57 PM

Default Re: running my PT mix or indiv. tracks through a 2track

Give up!

Just buy a Cranesong Hedd. It RECORDS fantastic audio to begin with... Then you dont have to mess around afterwards trying to 'fix it' or 'make have ""tape warmth"'

http://www.cranesong.com

Jules
www.gearslutz.com