Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2011, 01:15 PM

Default MBox 3 Pro and Monitors making s buzzing sound, what are the best cables?

I have an Avid Mbox Pro with a set of Mackie MR8 powered monitors hooked up to it, and then ProTools runs, I get a buzzing sound from my monitors. Right now I am using Planet Waves 1/4 TS to 1/4 TS speaker cables, I know I need balanced cables. Which cables are the best to hook up the monitors to the MBox without getting the buzzing sound? 1/4 TRS to 1/4 TRS, XLR to 1/4 TS, XLR to 1/4 TRS? I need to know the best cables to use, as the buzzing sound is driving me nuts!
Old 06-10-2011, 01:56 PM

Default Re: MBox 3 Pro and Monitors making s buzzing sound, what are the best cables?

I have the same problem with my KRK Rokit powered 5's & MBox 2 Mini...I took my stuff back to Guitar Center and they told me it's a dirty electricity problem..which to me,doesnt make sense because it only starts once Pro Tools loads..Multiple people I know have the same problem..I don't know a solution for it,as I'm looking for one too..
Old 06-12-2011, 08:44 AM

Default Re: MBox 3 Pro and Monitors making s buzzing sound, what are the best cables?

I had this same problem. I have the Mbox 2 Mini and KRK Rokit 5 G2's. When I first hooked up my monitors I used 1/4" TS cables and I had this high frequency static coming through the monitors. It was really unusable. A friend of mine gave me 2 1/4" TRS cables and it took care of the problem. I would get some TRS balanced cables and try that.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:48 AM

The buzz (for Stratoblaster)is due to the speaker cables. They are not shielded at all. Get a pair of TRS to XLR(or whatever the balanced inputs are on the Mackies). Speaker cables ar for connecting an amplifier to unpowered speakers(totally different type of signal). For Cali, it could be a poorly shielded USB cable. It could be dirty power(so see if the GC will lend you a power conditioner to prove if they are correct). The Mini is a bit trickier as you have unbalanced outputs(unbalanced signals are inherently susceptible to noise so keep those cables as short as possible). It could even be another piece of equipment nearby inducing noise(an air conditioner on the same circuit?). You might also try moving the Mbox to the other side of the computer. If its a laptop computer, try unplugging the power supply(run on battery power) to see if that helps(it often does).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-17-2011, 07:07 AM

Do you have a jack cable inserted into one of the inputs?

I used to get a buzzing through the monitors (KRK RP6's) when pro tools started up. I noticed the noise was coming from the Jack cable plugged into one of the inputs even when nothing was record enabled or anything. I pressed the Front-Rear button on the input and the buzz went away, and when I want to record I switch it again. It only comes from the jack when it isn't plugged into anything
Old 06-20-2011, 01:28 PM

Wink Re: MBox 3 Pro and Monitors making s buzzing sound, what are the best cables?

I Have KRK V88 Monitors, With MBOX2 and DIGI002R, with TRS Stereo Cable to XLR, and I don't have any Buzz noise. I made the Cable with Gotham Cable and Nutrick Connectors and Everything It's Ok since 4 or 5 Years.