Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-13-2014, 05:05 PM

Post Re: Avid Adds Subscription Options to Media Composer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
ok but they have the wup thing. Its similar.
It's the same difference. If you don't buy WUP, you are stuck with the last version you had when your WUP expired and your are not eligible for technical support. If you want to reUP on your WUP, you get WUP'd in the wallet for all of the time that you didn't have WUP.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:26 AM

Default Re: Avid Adds Subscription Options to Media Composer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
It's the same difference. If you don't buy WUP, you are stuck with the last version you had when your WUP expired and your are not eligible for technical support. If you want to reUP on your WUP, you get WUP'd in the wallet for all of the time that you didn't have WUP.
Only to a fixed maximum - $300 I believe. Devil's in the details in these things.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:47 AM

I'm surprised there's still so much misunderstanding of WUP after all these years.

You don't have to WUP for years if you don't want to. Your own your plugins until the end of time. And if you decide after 10 years that you need to, it's still capped at $240 (they said $300 but they're keeping it at $240 indefinitely), and you get every new plugin that's ever been added for all those years.

Also, in many cases, with their sales, it's not much more to just upgrade to the next bundle vs. paying WUP, which basically WUPs your previous bundle anyway.

And what people don't realize is that most other companies get the same thing out of you, it's just more unpredictable.

For example, if you have OS Mavericks and PT10, you have to "WUP" to PT11 to be compatible. If you had NI Komplete 3, you had to "WUP" somewhere along the way for compatibility with later DAW's or OS's. Maybe it was Komplete 7, Komplete 9, etc. The list goes on and on.

Bottom line is that you buy Waves plugins, you own them permanently, and they never stop working. So I don't compare it to a subscription.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:12 AM

Subscription means it stops working if you stop paying. Adobe lets you start and stop your subscription which is great for people who only occasionally use Premiere or Photoshop.

When I found my CD-R testing PC could run Pro Tools way better than my Mac, I needed a replacement for Waveburner and MasterList CD. It turned out the cheapest way to solve my problem was by subscribing to Samplitude for Rent which cost $15 a month. This ended up costing me less than just the upgrades would have without ever buying the program. I was very disappointed when they dropped subscriptions.

It all comes down to pricing.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:22 AM

It is possible it could make sense for those who upgrade every year. I got hd9 for "free" with my native card then>

Raped@$1000 by the fail ceo in 11/2011
and just now $600 3/2014

So around 2.5 years for $1600 Means $300 a year would be a good deal for me and anyone who will upgrade often. People who get burned are the ones who don't upgrade but they can just use the same software always anyhow.

They wil probably price something like this higher though.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I'm surprised there's still so much misunderstanding of WUP after all these years.

You don't have to WUP for years if you don't want to. Your own your plugins until the end of time. And if you decide after 10 years that you need to, it's still capped at $240 (they said $300 but they're keeping it at $240 indefinitely), and you get every new plugin that's ever been added for all those years.

Also, in many cases, with their sales, it's not much more to just upgrade to the next bundle vs. paying WUP, which basically WUPs your previous bundle anyway.

And what people don't realize is that most other companies get the same thing out of you, it's just more unpredictable.

For example, if you have OS Mavericks and PT10, you have to "WUP" to PT11 to be compatible. If you had NI Komplete 3, you had to "WUP" somewhere along the way for compatibility with later DAW's or OS's. Maybe it was Komplete 7, Komplete 9, etc. The list goes on and on.

Bottom line is that you buy Waves plugins, you own them permanently, and they never stop working. So I don't compare it to a subscription.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that quite different when WUP was first introduced? I don't think it was capped to $300 when it came out and I also think you had to pay yearly to not loose your right to update.
I remember quite clearly that a PT point release came out shortly after WUP was introduced and the Waves plugs stopped working at the company I was working at, which made everybody there quite angry.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonopolis View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that quite different when WUP was first introduced? I don't think it was capped to $300 when it came out and I also think you had to pay yearly to not loose your right to update.
I remember quite clearly that a PT point release came out shortly after WUP was introduced and the Waves plugs stopped working at the company I was working at, which made everybody there quite angry.

Yes, you are correct. I don't remember the details, but all of that was quite a while ago. The basic structure has been the way it is for a long time now. The only more recent change was capping it at $240/300 (before that it was based on a percentage of what the bundle cost). But apart from that the structure was still the same.

But since it has been this way for so long, that's why I expressed surprise that it's still widely misunderstood, not just here, but on Gearslutz, etc.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:23 AM

Didn't you know? Avid, Pace and Waves are the evil empire.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Didn't you know? Avid, Pace and Waves are the evil empire.
Not that anyone doubted it, but now we have written proof that Bob actually does read a good number of the posts on here...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 04-21-2014, 01:02 PM

People have been posting the same complaints for twenty years. I worry that legitimate issues get overlooked due to the endless screaming of "fire."