Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2015, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Do yourself a favor, listen to Pro Tools Expert Russ Hughes PT 12 Review...

Well... What can I say? Like Russ, I'm speechless.

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 03-25-2015, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Do yourself a favor, listen to Pro Tools Expert Russ Hughes PT 12 Review...

Nothing much surprises me with the absolute disgusting joke that Avid has seemingly become. But this is by far the lowest of many low points.

I mean.... it's just........ what..........
Old 03-25-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post
I posted an issue about my ilok going offline and restarting PT11 brought me to an activation screen, so I was right.
AVID is managing your ilok licenses now.
If your iLok is not plugged in and recognized by your computer, and you attempt to launch Pro Tools, PACE will see no license and ask you to activate a license. What's the issue? Is it this screen? For reference, the following image is a screenshot taken by myself just now, after unplugging my iLok and then launching Pro Tools.

Here are a few similar ones that pop up when launching a Reaper session with my iLok unplugged. Pro Tools was not even running when these were taken.
http://i.imgur.com/punXtKw.png
http://i.imgur.com/L9lZaU9.png

My task manager shows this as a PACE process, not an Avid one. This makes sense, because the copy protection is looking for a license that currently is not detected. http://i.imgur.com/N6vqjVd.png
Old 03-25-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Sure, dot updates and bug fixes are free of charge...but there's not going to be any more of those.

So just to play the devils advocate

They just changed the faq to state that bug fixes will continue to roll out for 11 past the end of 2015 - which had been the end date previously

This is good news, and not to be overlooked at least for the ones who maintain at 11
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
If your iLok is not plugged in and recognized by your computer, and you attempt to launch Pro Tools, PACE will see no license and ask you to activate a license. What's the issue? Is it this screen? For reference, the following image is a screenshot taken by myself just now, after unplugging my iLok and then launching Pro Tools.

Here are a few similar ones that pop up when launching a Reaper session with my iLok unplugged. Pro Tools was not even running when these were taken.
http://i.imgur.com/punXtKw.png
http://i.imgur.com/L9lZaU9.png

My task manager shows this as a PACE process, not an Avid one. This makes sense, because the copy protection is looking for a license that currently is not detected. http://i.imgur.com/N6vqjVd.png
yeah, that original post didn't make any sense to me. Of course Pro Tools is going to look for activation. What else is your iLok for?

Fortunately, PT12 is a free upgrade for me (whenever I'm in a batch that they roll out the licenses to) so I'm not too upset about features that are currently missing. I just want to know if 12 is more stable than 11. 11 gives me loads of problems with my video window. And the clip rename window... PLEASE tell me that bug is fixed.

edit: its not. Sigh. So frustrating.
PT: 12.8 HD - no interface. headphones and ilok.

Last edited by BrianJArmstrong; 03-26-2015 at 12:14 AM. Reason: to report unfixed bug
Old 03-26-2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
So just to play the devils advocate

They just changed the faq to state that bug fixes will continue to roll out for 11 past the end of 2015 - which had been the end date previously

Only for 11?
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables
Old 03-26-2015, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJArmstrong View Post
yeah, that original post didn't make any sense to me. Of course Pro Tools is going to look for activation. What else is your iLok for?

Fortunately, PT12 is a free upgrade for me (whenever I'm in a batch that they roll out the licenses to) so I'm not too upset about features that are currently missing. I just want to know if 12 is more stable than 11. 11 gives me loads of problems with my video window. And the clip rename window... PLEASE tell me that bug is fixed.

edit: its not. Sigh. So frustrating.
Welcome to AVID 2.0. I experienced it on PT11 so AVID is managing your ilok now.

Its not going to be a fun ride. AVID is going to hold too much power over your license.
PT 12 a Joke. AVID is now the industry joke. The commentary outside of here is classic.

AVID is going to lose so many users. Funny how much I was lambased because I made comment like, "this is the end of them", "who should buy AVID", only to see the same comments posted by other users.

Well I think PT12 release is pretty much the nail in the coffin. The major feature was AVID big brother.

AVID won't survive this one.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
Avid Artist Control
Old 03-26-2015, 12:53 AM

Quote:

Maybe.

Or maybe when Avid releases the first feature release in 12 everyone will forget about it.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Voyles View Post
Maybe.

Or maybe when Avid releases the first feature release in 12 everyone will forget about it.
They already have!
EFI flashed 580 GPU
Avid Artist Control
Old 03-26-2015, 03:52 AM

Quote:

People said the same thing when Adobe moved to subscription. Look where we are now...

Besides, the missing features could be tricky: it could be argued that they are in fact included in this release, what's missing is what resides at the other side of the cloud, which is being implemented as we speak and will be integrated to Pro Tools "soon" etc... As for track freeze, it was never promised for the 12.0 release if I'm not mistaken, but "sometime in 2015". In any case I'm sure Avid lawyers have thought this through.