Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 06-08-2016, 12:34 AM

Default When will PT support native audio on Windows PCs?

Disclaimer: I'm not a programmer, nor do I know anything at all about how or why Avid has so far chosen to only allow Mac users to use any audio playback device they want (including their desktop speakers) whereas Windows users are left to rely on a 3rd party developed sort-of-hacked-together codec written by a guy who -- as far as I can tell -- stopped any development or support on this codec years ago.

However, given that I must rely on said unsupported codec (ASIO4All) in order to have my Pro Tools audio playback come through anything other than my Mbox output, I'm wondering when Avid will finally decide to allow the huge proportion of users who have Windows machines to natively use audio sources other than Mbox?

I don't like being forced to rely on a somewhat jenky codec written by some person totally unaffiliated with Avid, and there are some pretty stupid problems I have on a regular basis with it. For example...
  1. You can't just change your audio source in ASIO with PT open. Any change whatsoever (even simply opening ASIO and closing it) forces you to close and reopen the entire application.
  2. Switching ASIO's chosen audio playback source from something else TO Mbox causes all sorts of errors
  3. When ASIO crashes during loading, it causes the entire application to crash, which of course then requires you to reboot your entire system before PT will open again.
  4. I can go on...

(Here comes the Agile developer in me...) As a user, I want...
  • Pro Tools to support desktop audio on Windows machines
  • to be able to change my playback audio to anything available on my Windows system from within Pro Tools
  • to not have to reboot my entire machine if a playback source I select is unavailable or has an error

I have an Mbox 3. It's great. I love it. It works great with Pro Tools, and most of the time, yeah I do use it as my audio playback source. However, sometimes I want to hear things from my speakers. Sometimes my head is hot because the room I'm in is hot, and I just don't want to have to wear my headphones connected to my Mbox to listen right now, or I want to hear through my monitors that are connected to a separate device that's then connected to my computer. I don't have the ability to use anything other than Mbox unless I rely on ASIO4All, which frankly sucks. It is the most bizarre thing to me that a company as well established and long lived as Avid has been allowing a random guy's 3rd party codec to power what should be a MAJOR feature of their application (on Windows) to supplement Pro Tools' functionality. Has anyone ever heard of this ever being discussed at any point?
Old 06-08-2016, 02:43 AM

Default Re: When will PT support native audio on Windows PCs?

ProTools 12 Windows allows you to use your built in interface.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors