Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 12-19-2012, 08:31 PM

Default Another HD N or HdX thread

Il just start with the obvious, there are alot of these threads....everywhere. Sorry, not trying to beat a dead horse. Looking for some solid opinions on my particular situation.

Ive been running an HD2 setup with a 192 for a couple years now. Most of the time it does the trick, but Ive hit the wall enough that I started looking into options. Thought about getting another accel card, but decided to move on from TDM. Works great, but im not too invested to it. I ended up scoring a new Avid IO with an HD N card and a copy of PT10. Im thinking about selling all these cards, the HD2 and Native pcie, and snagging an HDX card. Im wondering, with how Im implementing if its overkill though.

Im using a 2009 2xquad core 2.93ghz Nehlem Mac Pro with 16gb of ram. I would probably never have a need to track more than 24 ins at one time. I use virtually no outboard gear, have a Slate Dragon and a 2bus for summing, thats it. Have plans for other things, but its gonna be a slow, collective process. IO Wise HD N would accomidate me for a while. The biggest sessions Ive ever had to load has been about 65 tracks, with about 40-45 of them being stereo, and 5-10 of them being aux's. I also own a lot of rtas plugs. I bought a lot of my plugs when I was using LE before I upgraded to HD, never wanted to pay the extra cash for the tdm version. I do try to use TDM only on aux's but some of the time I have to use rtas.
Would still have to continue to use native plugs on aux's in HDX. I dont do serious mixing with this rig I like to play around with things and but mostly do a lot of tracking, pre mixing and production.

For what Im doing, what do you guys think? Any input is welcomed and much appreciated! Thanks guys!
Old 12-20-2012, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Another HD N or HdX thread

Well, you have the Native card and a 192 right now, so why not just try it out and see how it goes??

I just bought a Native card (awesome deal on the card and will be selling the license) and plan to run it next to my HD4 Magma rig for a while to make sure I am good.

I demoed a Native card about a year ago and it worked great. I tracked drums and did a bunch of overdubbing but got cold feet at the last minute and sent it back. I do a lot of mixing and added a UAD2 card about 5 months ago and use almost no TDM plugs now so it's time to try again.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
Well, you have the Native card and a 192 right now, so why not just try it out and see how it goes??

I just bought a Native card (awesome deal on the card and will be selling the license) and plan to run it next to my HD4 Magma rig for a while to make sure I am good.

I demoed a Native card about a year ago and it worked great. I tracked drums and did a bunch of overdubbing but got cold feet at the last minute and sent it back. I do a lot of mixing and added a UAD2 card about 5 months ago and use almost no TDM plugs now so it's time to try again.

True. I would probably only lose a few hundred bucks in resale value by opening it up. I thought it might sell a little easier if it was new/unopened but its probably worth a shot.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:11 AM

if you haven't tried the demo of 10, try it and see if you like the native performance of plain 10 before opening the Native card up

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-20-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
if you haven't tried the demo of 10, try it and see if you like the native performance of plain 10 before opening the Native card up
Ya, Ive been running 10 since it dropped. I'm gonna sell that license I got in the bundle with the hd2 system once I decide what I'm gonna do. My biggest problem has been track counts, running the system natively has been my workaround for a little while now. On larger sessions I run out voices and tracks start getting disabled with virtually no plugs. When I wanna start getting them ready for mixing I have to switch my engine to core audio, and bounce back and forth to tdm for overdubs and punches. It's curbed the workflow but at least it's allowed me to do what I need to do.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:50 AM

Can't use the 192 with reg PT.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:21 AM

Ya I know, it's kind of a pain. Hate having to change the engine. Have to restart pro tools, import appropriate io config and change voice count from 32 to 96 every time I switch back and forth. Monitor config is easy enough to cycle through. I just send the output of my computer to the st 1 channel on my c24, can cycle that with one button
Old 12-20-2012, 09:30 AM

Not to mention I have to manually reselect the appropriate output on the audio tracks cause every time I go back and forth the output from the other engine is unavailable. Not too too bad using alt shift but still, looking forward to avoiding it all.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:27 AM

I have both, I choose HDX. HDN will do the job though.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.12 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-20-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I have both, I choose HDX. HDN will do the job though.

Awesome! If you dont mind me asking how does the HDX fair with Native plugs? How close to the 256 voice limit have you gotten and what did it take to get you there? I know Native has the same voice count but knowing Im going to be using rtas on aux's, Im wondering how the HDX will handle it. Just trying to gauge how much more efficient hd n is when compared to hdx for native plugs. Im assuming the excessive voice count makes it kind of moot, especially with what Im doing, but just trying to get a feel from someone who has personal experience