Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-14-2009, 09:54 AM

Default how to cope with extremely long sound files

I am unable to load a mono wav file of 640 megs (in PT 6.4.1). I believe the length may be in excess of 8 hours. Every time I try to import it it sits for many minutes importing it then it says it has a program error. PT doesn't crash, it just won't import the file. Any advice?

thanks

c-post
Old 12-14-2009, 10:17 AM

Default Re: how to cope with extremely long sound files

A mono audio file 44.1 kHz/16 bit with a length of 1 minute has a size of 5 MB, 640 MB is 128 minutes, so how can it be in excess of 8 hours?

8 hours would be a size of 2,4 GB. There is a size limit of 2 GB in Pro Tools, this would be an audio file of approx. 6 hours 40 minutes...

Anyway, PT should import a a mono wav file of 640 MB without any problem, so maybe the file is corrupt? Does it play in QT or I-Tunes and/or can you see the actual length displayed?

Pro Tools | HDX system:
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) 3.33 GHz 6-core - 32 GB RAM - OS X 10.14.6 - Magma EB7 - PT HDX3 - PT Ultimate 2019.10 - HD I/O 16x16 - HD I/O 16x16 Digital - 192 I/O - 192D I/O (x3) - SYNC HD I/O - Apogee Big Ben - Rosetta 200 - Slate RAVEN MTi2 (x2) in a RAVEN CORE Station + 2 RAVEN CORE Station Sidecars - Almost all available AAX-DSP plug-ins
Old 12-14-2009, 09:43 PM

When I drag the file into itunes it shows the file is 8 hours 34 mins. This was recorded on a portable conference type device. No doubt the 640Meg file is in compressed form. When protools tries to reconstitute the file as an 8 hr 34 min file, it can't handle it.

So I'm stuck at this point. Can't clean up the file cos I can't get it into PT.

c-post
Old 12-14-2009, 09:45 PM

Unhappy Re: how to cope with extremely long sound files

The only hope I see is to play it back from itunes realtime and record 4 hour chunks in protools, royal PITA.

c-post
Old 12-14-2009, 09:48 PM

Try audacity.. It's free

Or you could try Reaper, just to get this file split..

I have no idea if either of those will have the same problem..
Old 12-15-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-post View Post
When I drag the file into itunes it shows the file is 8 hours 34 mins. This was recorded on a portable conference type device. No doubt the 640Meg file is in compressed form. When protools tries to reconstitute the file as an 8 hr 34 min file, it can't handle it.

So I'm stuck at this point. Can't clean up the file cos I can't get it into PT.

c-post
After uncompression, the file is too big in once piece. Older PT had 2GB uncompressed file size limit, the new ones have 4GB limit, but still, it's just too long, plain and simple. Break it into pieces and import again.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:21 AM

A WAV or AIFF file both use 4 bytes to save the data length... so they can't store more than 4GB

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 12-17-2009, 12:10 PM

Smile Re: how to cope with extremely long sound files

Well, Audacity DOES seem to be working for this unusual file length problem. I will split the file in two, export as wav, then bring into protools for extensive processing with my plug ins. Thanks a bunch!

c-post