Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2015, 03:04 PM

Default A Modest Proposal, to the Pro Tools Community

Since Avid is now offering support plans, I would like to offer this modest proposal to the Community of Protools Users:

That we should no longer offer support or technical advise for Protools on this, or any other web forum. Instead, we should encourage Protools Users to buy a support plan and contact Avid with their troubleshooting requests.

Since Avid is banking the income they get from support plans, they should also have to expend the financial and man power resources to deal with those issues themselves and not have them offered for free by the Community.

So, from here on out, any question about a troubleshooting issue or system incompatibility, or possible bugs should only be answered by directing that person to use their Avid Support Plan, or to buy an Avid Support Plan.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 02-19-2015, 04:16 PM

Default Re: A Modest Proposal, to the Pro Tools Community

The bulk of the issues come from non-pros who should learn how to resolve their own issues anyway so I am with you JC.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:23 PM

Hmm.. To "get back" at Avid for a perceived slight, you're trying to rally people for punitive action against forum-goers?

This is either a Jonathan Swift joke, or an unfortunately ironic instance of Poe's Law in action. Let's see who takes the bait.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:36 PM

Well, I don't see AVID changing the support hours, adding staff to support it or offering weekends either.

The want you to pay for what they know you aren't going to use because you can't, time difference and this and other boards.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables
Old 02-20-2015, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Since Avid is now offering support plans, I would like to offer this modest proposal to the Community of Protools Users:

That we should no longer offer support or technical advise for Protools on this, or any other web forum. Instead, we should encourage Protools Users to buy a support plan and contact Avid with their troubleshooting requests.

Since Avid is banking the income they get from support plans, they should also have to expend the financial and man power resources to deal with those issues themselves and not have them offered for free by the Community.

So, from here on out, any question about a troubleshooting issue or system incompatibility, or possible bugs should only be answered by directing that person to use their Avid Support Plan, or to buy an Avid Support Plan.
The best way IMO to get fast and profound support, is THIS very forum. It costs nothing and hurts nobody and has been a great source for lots of debates and support incidents. Why none and void such a great resource.

If anything, we should all rally up and encourage AVID to actually READ this forum. If Protools would incorporate the feedback and ideas of this forum, the entire world would be using Protools !
Old 02-20-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
...we should no longer offer support or technical advise for Protools...
You know, the people coming up today, say under 25, might actually be in need of more support... and Avid is seeing this.

The vast majority do everything on their cell phones, who needs a computer.
No one... until you decide to jump into a DAW.

Now they'll go from 'plug 'n play' smart phones to troubleshooting computers and software.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockridge View Post
You know, the people coming up today, say under 25, might actually be in need of more support... and Avid is seeing this.

The vast majority do everything on their cell phones, who needs a computer.
No one... until you decide to jump into a DAW.

Now they'll go from 'plug 'n play' smart phones to troubleshooting computers and software.
Today's Cell-Phones ARE computers. And they are WAY more powerful than the Computers on which PT ran when it was released !
Old 02-20-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
Today's Cell-Phones ARE computers. And they are WAY more powerful than the Computers on which PT ran when it was released !
Try running Protools, or burning a CD, or even just typing a document on a cell phone...

They may be computers in the literal sense that they crunch data with digital 1s and 0s, but they do not process data in the same way. Even trying to type a document or spread sheet on a tablet is an irritating and frustrating experience.

Real computers will remain the primary tool of people that actually work for a living in many, many different fields for at least the next 100 years.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 02-20-2015, 08:57 AM

The other point I'd make is I wouldn't be surprised if Avid comes out with a touch control surface, running it's own OS... maybe Linux, that will be like a giant cellphone dedicated to running pro tools.

A mixer, a DAW, a computer with all necessary connections... all in one.
Turn key... and totally self contained.

There's been talk in the past about something like this, but now the time make be coming.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
If anything, we should all rally up and encourage AVID to actually READ this forum. If Protools would incorporate the feedback and ideas of this forum, the entire world would be using Protools !
Yes, Avid is asking all bug reporters to file the bugs on ideascape so they can be viewed and listed in that data base. I've also recommended that Avid list the bugs they find do we know what they are working on.

Avid recommends reporting how the bug happens so they can duplicate the issue.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.