Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 09-07-2014, 07:50 PM

Default CPU Overload when usisng Trilian

Hello, I am having a "CPU overload" error constantly when I am using Trilian and I'm not sure how to fix the problem. I am using 1028 buffer size, lite version of Trilian, and have the most recent updates. I have noticed that while monitoring my CPU it will spike from about 30% all the way up to 100% randomly and then cause the error. I am using a Mac OS 10.9.3, Digi 003 Rack, and pro tools 11. The only other plug-in really use is Superior Drummer but the problem only happens when I am using Trilian. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2014, 02:07 PM

Default Re: CPU Overload when usisng Trilian

There's a lot of info about CPU spikes. Another plug could be causing this. What do you have placed after Trillan?

Sans Amp causes cpu spikes, for example.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:01 PM

The only other plug in that I am using is Superior Drummer but the problem only occurs when I activate Trilian.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:13 AM

Maybe try reinstalling it… Make SURE you have latest update. Some others have seen CPU spikes just having certain plugs installed.

I personally have had to do a lot of trouble shooting since 11. I had to do the remove every plug ordeal about a year ago. I hope you figure it out soon. Sorry I can't be more help.

Spectrasonics is pretty good about email service.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:01 AM

Trillian and Omnishere is working fine on my system.

Gigabyte X99 SOC Force Mobo Bios vF6d
Intel Core i7 5930k socket 2011 v3 @ 3.50GHz
32GB DDR4 Crucial RAM
System: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Record: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Samples: Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
Storage: 2x Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Graphics
PT 11HD (v11.2.1) Omni s/pdif w Eleven Rack
HD 96I/O
Win 8.1 Pro
Old 09-10-2014, 01:09 PM

I'm also using Omnisphere, what appears to be mostly trouble free.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:07 PM

I have re-installed Trilian and it is up to date. I also have been solving several problems since I upgraded to PT11. I'll keep troubleshooting for now. If anyone has any other tips please let me know. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2014, 08:30 PM

Used Omnisphere and Trilian for long time through many versions of ProTools... I'd bet you a quarter there is a plug in that's either wonky or not an aax in your plug ins folder... even if you don't have it inserted.

First thing to do in this regard is to check what you have against the sticky list. Even if what you have is all on the list.. it could be you have an earlier version of a plug in that needs updating.
Easiest way I found to handle this early on was to grab several at a time and move them to the unused folder. Using the process of elimination you'll find the culprit (if its a plug in) pretty quick that way.

When you find it and your cpu happily floats under 10% with insane track counts and instances of plug ins.... you'll be real happy you took the time.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliebSR View Post
When you find it and your cpu happily floats under 10% with insane track counts and instances of plug ins.... you'll be real happy you took the time.
Your CPU is under 10% usage with tons of tracks and Plugs?????
Old 09-14-2014, 03:07 PM

"Your CPU is under 10% usage with tons of tracks and Plugs????? "

Yup. Right up until I installed 11.2.1 it was running ginormous sessions without a hitch. For that matter the current hitch only effects AIR instruments as far as I can tell.

The only time I see a cpu spike typically is when the Play instrument (EastWest) loads something and only during the load.

Used to have to commit to audio pretty early on, I much prefer the current process of holding off on that, as it allows a composition to develop in more interesting ways. Eventually in my process I'll tend to record individual articulations, and yes, at some point in the process I am deactivating instruments, but currently that's no where as insane as it used to be in order to access cpu n' memory. In fact, its a huge difference... so huge it would have to be conveyed in a pretentious fashion with words like 'in an order of magnitude of..".

The Spectrasonics stuff has pretty much always worked awesome. I can load every track within any of them, fill every effect rack and Aux send within them and do crazy modulations from the main page, automate just about every knob and slider and the PT system usage window will barely notice it.

The past exception was unfriendly plug ins in the ProTools folder which results in system usage spikeing when Omni and Trilian are instantiated even without any patches loaded .... even if the culprit plug ins were not instantiated in the current session. Pretty sure that's the thing folks are missing in translation. In my case, some of those unfriendly plug ins included early versions of aax on the acceptable list. That isn't the case now, so I suspect finding the culprit and updating it might be 'the thing', OR simply getting it out of the plug in folder and then using something like blue cat, or vienna ensemple pro to host the misbehaving plug in.

I watch that little system usage window routinely. Here's my non techno-weenie advice.... if it looks a lot like a vu meter bouncing around like crazy... in my case anyway, something in the rig isn't playing nice. the plug ins mostly, but I did have an instance where windows updated even though I told it not to, and they turned on some services I had turned off... and switched some peripherals proprietary drivers for the generic windows drivers... (deep sigh)