How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-22-2013, 04:37 PM

Default Pro Tools 11

Hello everyone!

Have a few questions for you:

I am running a mid-2010, 15' MBP, 8GB RAM, core i7 2.66Ghz. I have replaced the internal DVD with a second HD. Currently it runs PT9 no problem; will I be able to run PT11? I noticed on the supported systems page, it only says 2012 models, and some 2011.

AAX - is it a big improvement? I believe I'll have to get AAX versions of all my plugins (since PT11 will no longer support older plugins), which will cost, so I'd like to be sure it's worth it.

I have ARC 2, will that still work?

It will still support other audio interfaces correct? Not back to limiting it to Avid products? I have a Focusrite

Will it still have time code, OMF etc? I thought I read somewhere that all the 'complete production toolkit' stuff will only be available on HD?

I believe that's all I have for now. Hopefully someone can answer these for me.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11

Andy,

PT11 may run on unsupported computers, as unsupported simply means that AVID has not tested PT11 on that era of computer, and will not provide technical support if you have problems.

The only way you'll know is when people actually get their hands on PT11 and try it.

AAX is undoubtedly an improvement over RTAS, and many plugin companies are providing AAX updates to their existing versions free of charge. Not all though, so you will have to check with each to find out.

I don't know what ARC2 is? If it is an RTAS plugin, then only if it gets an AAX version.

Third party interfaces will continue to be provided for, in both vanilla and HD versions of the software.

Features that are currently HD only, or vanilla with CPTK only, will continue to be unavailable to to vanilla PT owners in PT11. Based on Avid's originally announcement, the only way to keep CPTK features would be to upgrade to HD, but that announcement is now subject to change. Avid has said it will announce a revised plan within around two weeks.

OMF.used to be a HD or CPTK feature only (digi-translator), but since version 9 has been available in vanilla too.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
Andy,

PT11 may run on unsupported computers, as unsupported simply means that AVID has not tested PT11 on that era of computer, and will not provide technical support if you have problems.

The only way you'll know is when people actually get their hands on PT11 and try it.

AAX is undoubtedly an improvement over RTAS, and many plugin companies are providing AAX updates to their existing versions free of charge. Not all though, so you will have to check with each to find out.

I don't know what ARC2 is? If it is an RTAS plugin, then only if it gets an AAX version.

Third party interfaces will continue to be provided for, in both vanilla and HD versions of the software.

Features that are currently HD only, or vanilla with CPTK only, will continue to be unavailable to to vanilla PT owners in PT11. Based on Avid's originally announcement, the only way to keep CPTK features would be to upgrade to HD, but that announcement is now subject to change. Avid has said it will announce a revised plan within around two weeks.

OMF.used to be a HD or CPTK feature only (digi-translator), but since version 9 has been available in vanilla too.

Hope that helps.
VERY helpful, thank you. ARC 2 is a room correction software. Since I don't have the money for full acoustic treatment, it's what I use atm.

So pretty much hardware/features that exist now in vanilla will still be there, except for plugins which must be AAX. Also, faster processing etc with 64bit and AAE.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:55 PM

As for ARC, VE PRo may be the solution

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-22-2013, 05:57 PM

The short answer is yes.

Just remember that there are also a few PT11 new features, such as advanced metering ballistics and the gain reduction meter, that will be HD only.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
As for ARC, VE PRo may be the solution
Not sure what that is, but I will have to look that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
The short answer is yes.

Just remember that there are also a few PT11 new features, such as advanced metering ballistics and the gain reduction meter, that will be HD only.
Ya, but that's always the case right? For now, my metering needs should be more or less ok; I have dorrough, and there is always other options to tide me over till I can afford or need HD.

Thanks guys :)
Old 04-22-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1138 View Post
ARC 2 is a room correction software. Since I don't have the money for full acoustic treatment, it's what I use atm.
I'd be very surprised if this wasn't ported to AAX.

IK Multimedia has been producing plugins for quite some time and has always done RTAS. I'd say there's a lot of people running plugins like Amplitube in PT, and it would be in their best interest to keep making plugins for PT.

Hmmm... just did a quick search on the IK forums and found this:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/forum/vi...lit=aax#p21735

Not promising, but not totally writing it off either. This was from last year though and I think a lot of manufacturers have been holding off til they had to port to AAX as PT10 still ran RTAS versions.

Maybe shoot them an email directly.