Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 06-01-2013, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Need your opinions on first mix/master

Thank Manny! I panned the snare a bit left and added a little more low end to the master.
I have not messed with room mic placement in Superior Drummer yet. I am sure there is a way, but I haven't gotten that deep.

https://soundcloud.com/davebmetal/im...ory-of-failure

Last edited by davebmetal; 06-01-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:43 PM

Daveb,

That mix is coming along with much more prescence than the first mix in the drums. I still feel like the balls are missing. You definitely have some frequencies battling each other and I still feel like there's a little compression on the output buss. I think the struggle with the drums may be using Superior drummer, I've used samples in the past with heavy music, but always found the heaviest sounds came from a real live kit. This track should rip peoples faces off. The same can be said about the guitars, the riffs are there, but into the first chorus the rythm guitar gets masked; a real amp with a mic could go a long way.

How many guitar tracks do you have going? Are they using different patches? Did you double them or just copy/paste? Personally, for guitar sounds(if you haven't done this already) record two of the exact same takes, pan one to the Left a bit and equally pan the other to the Right. You'll get a bigger, heavier sound. What was the Bass recorded with? just DI?

Either way, if this is just a demo, it's good! Get it professionally mastered and move onto the next track...don't get too caught up, the more recordings and mixes you do, the better they'll get.

Makes me miss working on heavy music, for now, back to brushes and accoustic guitars :P
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 06-01-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebmetal View Post
Thank Manny! I panned the snare a bit left and added a little more low end to the master.
I have not messed with room mic placement in Superior Drummer yet. I am sure there is a way, but I haven't gotten that deep.

https://soundcloud.com/davebmetal/im...ory-of-failure
I meant the room you are mixing in :) room acoustics will have drastic effects on your mix, so if you're mixing in a room that is not treated you might be battling what the room is letting you hear instead of what's actually in your mix.

Wave-T.com
Old 06-02-2013, 06:03 AM

Hi Manny,
You are right, I don't have raised monitors. I'm just mixing in my bedroom. I will get those monitor lifts soon enough. I also want to try getting a good pair of headphones.

Hi Dr. DAW,
I recorded all guitars and bass through the Line6 UX2. I did two takes of rhythm guitars - one 95 right, one 95 left. I used different patches for each. The guitars you hear down the middle are the other guitarists lead type tracks. During the chorus, he is using a heavy chorus effect. I may use automation to make it more even because I agree that the tones are battling each other. The Line6 patches had the compressor effect within that program on the patch. Next time I will use no compressor. I did master this thing with Ozone5. So that is likely the compression you are hearing. I do hear some mid to high mid frequencies causing some clashes. I will keep at it. And I know Superior is not a real kit, but the reason I use it is because this recording project was started because we couldn't get a real technical drummer in our area. And I do have a Marshall 4x12 and a Line6 HD147 head so I will start experimenting with using a mic set up too.

Thank you guys for all your feedback and help. It has been invaluable.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:07 AM

You shouls also consider investing in absorbers, diffusers and bass traps to help level the room a bit. It will not be perfect, but it will certainly help.

Wave-T.com
Old 06-02-2013, 03:44 PM

Well, I think I got rid of those conflicting frequencies. But you all are correct, I will need to do some adjusting on the guitar tones in Line6 for the next song we do. I thought we got rid of most of the high end but one of the amp models I used was pretty high gain. Probably too much.

Better version: https://soundcloud.com/davebmetal/im...ory-of-failure

Last edited by davebmetal; 06-04-2013 at 02:53 PM.