Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 07-15-2020, 01:00 PM

Default Cloud collaboration issues

I'm new to Pro Tools, and have created my first project. I'm having the following issues with Cloud Collaboration:
  1. Sometimes the upload arrows are unresponsive
    After making changes to one or more tracks, upload arrows always turn green as expected, but sometimes they are unresponsive to clicks. Sometimes, when multiple tracks have been changed, some tracks do upload but others do not. The arrows are then unresponsive for the tracks that are left behind. I've found that un-sharing and then re-sharing an affected track seems to resume normal behavior with respect to arrows changing from green to grayed out. However, uploading a re-shared track results in no activity in the Pro Tools task manager, whereas normally, there is activity on an upload. When I close and re-open the project, all of my changes are visible. But I'm not sure if changes are actually being saved to the cloud for tracks that have been un-shared and re-shared.
  2. Edits that I made were lost
    A collaborator made changes to the project I described above, and I was able to successfully downloaded his changes. However, my edits were missing. Is there something special that collaborators must do when versioning is used? I have saved 3 versions of this project. Doesn't the most recently saved version become the working document?

Is it advisable for collaborators to take turns working on a project and always save changes as a new version? How do most people use Cloud Collaboration?
Old 07-17-2020, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Cloud collaboration issues

Bump
Old 07-17-2020, 09:35 AM

The obvious answer is this cloud collaboration software is way too flakey to trust your work with.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:53 AM

Not a good answer but correct perhaps. This is my first foray into the feature. What has been your experience Darryl?

Last edited by Ray Lyon; 07-17-2020 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Correct pselling amd puncupation
Old 07-17-2020, 11:50 AM

My experience is a brief play in the past showed it was a bad mess, besides that you just need to read the many many posts on DUC about people complaining about all sorts of issues to not even waste time with it.

There is Google and DUC forum search, you don't need to ask people what they think... lots been posted already on cloud storage (esp. in Pro Tools First) and collaboration.

Disappointing to see such a mess gets released. I suspect it is caused by Avid having significantly outsourced development to GlobalLogic and losing control of quality in the process. But the worst part is seeing people jumping into this and losing (or just risking) their work.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:11 PM

And the ability not be able to type a capital T in the artist chat window is a pest...
Old 07-19-2020, 12:07 AM

I’ve been using the Avid Cloud on and off for the last couple of years between me and two other remote collaborators. I do think things have gotten better lately, but not when using Pro Tools first! I have coaxed my other collaborators to all get on the 2020 full version of Pro Tools and that seems more reliable than mixing different PT versions when using the Avid Cloud. Also, we have all connected to the Internet with wired connections, and not wireless for better reliability and faster speeds. It’s recommended to disable wi-fi when using PT anyway. Regardless, we use the Avid Cloud as a scratchpad and transfer portal mostly. Whoever starts the collaboration keeps a backup copy locally, and when we get closer to final tracks I make local backup copies of everything. The Avid Cloud is always one of several places where a project resides, but NOT the only place! At times when it seems that a cloud project is having problems, I have had to offload it from the cloud, fix it locally, and then upload it with a new name and delete the old one from the Cloud. And we decided a while ago to not have different versions of the same project in the Avid Cloud, as it’s too confusing and people end up working on the wrong version!
PT 2024.3 Ultimate HDX, Dual Slate Raven MTi2, HD IO 16x16, Mac Studio M2 Max on Sonoma, 64GB RAM, 4 TB & 8 TB external SSD NVMe drives, Neve 1073OPX(2), Slate VSX, Focal Solo Be6, Roland V-Drums, DW drums, too many VI’s and plug ins to mention.