Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 01-18-2012, 06:06 AM

Default question about tascam us-2400

I am thinking about snapping up a tascam us-2400 and am trying to do my homework before/if I commit.

I am using windows 7 professional 64bit, and PT10. First of all I would like to know if people have this control surface up and running and to what extent?

I have read that people have found that it bogs down pro tools, fails to set up correctly on start up and often one of the fader sets is unavailable for use, is this hardware/software incomparability or user error?

I am interested in picking one of these up because it is perfect for my needs, I come from using a BCF2000 so I won't miss having an LCD screen, etc as I have learnt to work without one, and it is in the price range I have to spend. One thing I worry about is the future use, as this is an old controller I suspect there wont be continuous support for it. If I buy this I will be using it for quite along time, even though there is no way to predict future compatibility, when PT11 comes out would you think that it would be able to work the same as in 8,9 and 10? Or would I be left with a big useless box?

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:52 PM

Default Re: question about tascam us-2400

Hey Ben, I am running a us2400 with PT10 + CPTK on win7 64.
All 24 faders are working, flip faders to Aux sends function is awesome for controlling my 5 st cue mixs, paning, transport, scrub, solo, mute, track select-arm, mostly all I need it for anyway.
The Tascam softlcd application does not work in win7 thow, man I wish I could get that running. As a primitive workaround, I setup a couple plastic tracks with little track-name tags that I insert/slide around for track naming at mixdown, works OK.
The setup is simple, it just shows up as 3 HUI in PT (I have the exact setup procedure somewhere).
If you can get it at a good price like I did, I would go for it.

Cheers
Mani
Old 01-20-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_A View Post
Hey Ben, I am running a us2400 with PT10 + CPTK on win7 64.
All 24 faders are working, flip faders to Aux sends function is awesome for controlling my 5 st cue mixs, paning, transport, scrub, solo, mute, track select-arm, mostly all I need it for anyway.
The Tascam softlcd application does not work in win7 thow, man I wish I could get that running. As a primitive workaround, I setup a couple plastic tracks with little track-name tags that I insert/slide around for track naming at mixdown, works OK.
The setup is simple, it just shows up as 3 HUI in PT (I have the exact setup procedure somewhere).
If you can get it at a good price like I did, I would go for it.

Cheers
Mani
Thanks for your reply, it is really good to hear that this thing works :).

Coming from a BCF2000 I have gotten used to not having a scribble strip, My workaround is to show track numbers in the view sub menu, plus I have very strict colour coding and ordering so I usually know where everything is.

I assumed that it would operate under HUI, since it operates under 3 different
items does that have an effect on banking?

On a stereo track where there are two separate panning parameters is there away to switch between the two sides?

Have you had any luck getting the encoders to work for plugins? It's not really a must for me, but it would be very cool indeed If I could use the encoders to control the new channel strip.

Again, thanks very much for your input.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:28 AM

Hey Ben, just wondering if you picked-up that us2400?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benherron.rrr View Post

I assumed that it would operate under HUI, since it operates under 3 different
items does that have an effect on banking?
No, the Banking works perfect here, I stretch out the mixer to show 24 channels across my 3 monitors, then bank to the next 24 no probs.

On a stereo track where there are two separate panning parameters is there away to switch between the two sides?
The "pan" button in the master section has a second function that will enable the channel rotary encoder to switch L or R sides for panning.

Have you had any luck getting the encoders to work for plugins? It's not really a must for me, but it would be very cool indeed If I could use the encoders to control the new channel strip.
Yes, this would be cool indeed, I have messed a little with this but nothing to report yet.
Good luck. Rob_A

Again, thanks very much for your input.