Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2006, 11:12 AM

Default custom keyboard/trackball/mouse shortcuts, ideas?

Hello,

I've set aside some time to invest/research creating some custom shortcuts to help improve my workflow.

Here's some background:

In the 90's, I used "Quickeys" (smartly programmed by another engineer at the studio) extensively.

-Worked great, but I came to rely on them, and then lost productivity when I would work on a PT system that didn't have Quickeys installed, which was often.

When Pro Tools expanded their keyboard shortcuts (was is vers. 4.X ?), I decided to "get off" QuickKeys, and just learn the "stock" shortcuts. I learned some new ones; and I had already known a lot by then , anyway. And, like all of us, I'm picking up more all the time.

Now that I work/mix ITB almost exclusively ,lately, my wrist has been getting pretty numb.

I tried a Command 8 last year but didn't really like how it was layed-out.
I've recently been looking at the CM Labs Motormix because:
-it's cheap
-expandable
I thought maybe I would start using faders again if I had 24 of them in front of me.

When I really think about my workflow, I don't really mind moving faders/MIXING with a mouse, it's the EDITING, and plug-in tweaking that's KILLING my wrist.

I'm now trying to learn to use a trackball w/ my left hand (I mouse with my right).
I've been asking around to see how people are "custom" programming their trackballs, and no one's seems to really have it dialed in.
When I try to program the mouse using only the Kensington software, I can only re-assign functions that already have a equilavent keystroke. I'm not really interested in that.

Now I'm considering buying and programming my own shortuts in either:
-ControllerMate( $15 ?)
or
- QuicKeys ( $85 ?)

I want to pick the right one, because I plan on investing a considerable amount of time into really addressing improving work-flow issues.

Here's my short list of the functions/macros I want to automate:

-create a macro to handle selecting entire session length, and boucing to disk w/ standard settings (4416, stereo interleaved...)
-toggle "tab to transient" on and off
-duplicate playlist on selected track(s)
-"scroll" thru existing playlists on selected track(s)
-duplicate snare track, open Sound Replacer, load my most used samples
-duplicate playlist, select entire track, create new fades, consolidate

You get the idea.

I'd love to hear some ideas/opinions about how to go about implementing this.

As always, thanks in advance,
Ken Sluiter
Old 07-14-2006, 06:14 PM

Default Re: custom keyboard/trackball/mouse shortcuts, ide

We use SHUTTLE PRO on some of our systems along with the mouse, and it's great. The Shuttle Pro will handle ALL transport functions, including jog/shuttle, and then each operator creates his own set of functions for the other buttons. Each set can be saved for each operator, then recalled when that operator works on the system.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:32 PM

Default Re: custom keyboard/trackball/mouse shortcuts, ideas?

Ken - I think I know what you're talking about. I've been going thru this for awhile, too. I figure, if I'm using PT so much of my waking life, doesn't it make sense to make my work as efficient as possible? I don't have a desire to automate to the level that you do, but I do like to cut down on repetitive motions.

I have Quickeys, it's a great time and keystroke saver. I have ControllerMate as well, but I haven't programmed it to the degree that I plan to. I'd say you should get both, as they complement one another.

I used to have pain from working at the computer, but I don't anymore. Not because of QK or CM, but because of setting my chair and table up in a way that works for me. If you're interested let me know, and I'll elaborate.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:19 PM

By all means, please elaborate on your chair/table setup.

Sometimes, I think I'd like to work at a table whilst standing.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:38 PM

Well, the two main objectives of my setup were to eliminate the burning in my wrist that I'd feel after working for a few hours (and it got to where the burning would start almost immediately after I'd start working), and to eliminate the pain that would develop where my shoulder meets my neck. Those were my particular pains.

What worked for me on the wrist, was to keep my wrist straight as I worked with the trackball or mouse. (I prefer a mouse, because it's easier for me to keep the correct position.) By straight, I mean you could take a ruler, strap it to the top of my forearm, and have it extend over the back of my hand. My hand is not bent upward at the wrist. To achieve this, I use a chair with an armrest, and rest my right arm on it. Then I adjust the height of the seat with the hydraulic adjustment. I put it at the right height so that my hand naturally falls into the correct position when using the mouse. The table can't be too high or too low, or it won't work.

For the shoulder pain, the armrest handles that by supporting the full weight of my right arm. The armrest should be adjusted to a comfortable height, not too high, nor too low. When it's set correctly, my shoulder and neck muscles don't have to do any work holding my arm up. It saves on chiropracter bills!

Hope my suggestion helps someone, somewhere.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:57 PM

Here are 4 suggestions that have helped my workflow immensely.

1) Ergorest arm rests. (not cheap, but if you're having trouble with your wrists, they pay for themselves in comfort.

Take a look at these.
http://www.ergo-items.com/armrests/e...t/ergorest.htm

Using 2 at a time allows comfortable support of your forearms and allows operation of trackball and
keyboard with very little wrist discomfort.

2) Wireless Keyboard with scroll bar for left fingers.

Having a scroll bar for scrolling windows up/down and left/right has been a serious upgrade to my speed and comfort. Reasonably priced.

http://us.kensington.com/html/6469.html

3) (simple & free) I assign the bottom 2 buttons (simultaneous press) on my trackball to operate the space bar. Often I might kick back and audition things while only wanting to use one hand. Stopping and starting the transport from the trackball has become very useful.

4) (simple & free) I like double scroll arrows on both top and bottom and left and right. I do this by going to the terminal session entry window that is located in the Utilities folder. Copy and Paste the following into the terminal window and upon restart you will have double scrolls in all four corners.

defaults write "Apple Global Domain" AppleScrollBarVariant DoubleBoth

I'm not sure if there is an easier way to do this, but again, once you start using this method, you most likely won't want to work without it.

Enjoy,

Dave Reitzas
http://www.reitzas.com

I am a user praising the benefits of these products out of sheer enjoyment only, totally uncompensated, just do me a favor and let them know I sent you. They'll probably go "Dave who?
Old 07-15-2006, 03:14 AM

Ergorest arm rests.

Ive got the same thing for my mousing arm. Relax The Back Store has them as well. Stopped all of my neck and shoulder pain. Ergonomics are of utmost importance. When we moved off of the console, it seems everybody forgot about the comfort factor for a while. A good chair and desk with keyboard and controller at proper height are really important.

Mills Logan
Old 07-15-2006, 09:34 AM

Wow!
Thanks for all the tips, guys.

I'm going to look at adjusting my Aeron chairs' armrest when I get backk into the studio.
The double-arrow idea is a good one, as well. I'm going to do that.

Does anyone have any macro's for scrolling thru playlists?

That would be a big one for me.

Also, is there a "pause" playback shortcut.
It's probably right under my nose

thanks again
Old 07-15-2006, 09:34 AM

Wow!
Thanks for all the tips, guys.

I'm going to look at adjusting my Aeron chairs' armrest when I get backk into the studio.
The double-arrow idea is a good one, as well. I'm going to do that.

Does anyone have any macro's for scrolling thru playlists?

That would be a big one for me.

Also, is there a "pause" playback shortcut.
It's probably right under my nose

thanks again
Old 07-15-2006, 10:31 AM

"-create a macro to handle selecting entire session length, and boucing to disk w/ standard settings (4416, stereo interleaved...)"

I don't know of a macro for this, but, you can shift+return to select from wherever your cursor is to the sessions start and then shift+ option+return to select back to the end of the session. I have set a keyboard shortcut of control+option+apple+b for Bounce to Disk... in the Mac keyboard and mouse system preferences. However this doesn't set defualt BTD settings. I am still looking for a way to do that. Anyone know how?

You could also set a marker at the start of the song and at the end of the song then use your marker locate numbers (.marker number. on key pad) to select the first marker, then hold shift while selecting the other marker the same way.

"-toggle "tab to transient" on and off"

I would like to know how to set a shortcut for this as well, anyone know?

As for the ergonomics and health issues, a doctor a few years back suggested that I start taking glucosamine and chondroition daily for the pain in my wrists and elbows and it has helped tremendously. It is a natural supplement and can be found in many forms, pills, liquids, powders (Emer'gen-C has a couple of flavors with it).

I know this doesn't address macros, but I hope this helps.
www.reelfx.com