Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Re: New redesigned C24

Hi. Yes, I've used a MixedLogic M24 for about a year and a half. Great controller. I eventually moved to a Control 24 because I needed some of the extras, but it was at considerable boost in cost over the M24. Now, the good part for you is that I still have the M24 and have been keeping it as a backup to my Control 24 should it go down bigtime. I've thought about selling it and may do it since so far my Control 24 has been reliable. If you're interested email me directly and I'll give you my phone no. and we can discuss it. BTW, I also have the armrest and end trimpieces on it. Also, the designer is very service oriented and came through with some feature requests I had to increase its functionality with Pro Tools. My email is [email protected] .

Jeff
Old 10-16-2007, 12:51 PM

I think I may hold the record for the most replacement Control 24s I'm on my 4th console.
Although a great design for a control surface I must list my wish list for a "re-design" C24.

*Upgrade Mic Preamps or no Mic Preamps at all and lower the price or put more $ into other ares.
*External Power Supply.
*My current Control 24 sends an extreme power surge to the monitors (even when gain pots all the way down) upon power up. No filtering???
*A better monitoring section period.
*Upgrade faders to Pro Control level or better.
*Fix the inconsistant intensity and flickering channel strip lights.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:19 PM

I have 3 Control 24's, I have replaced so many power supplies I feel like the power supply IS external. One of my Control 24's has just received it's fourth power supply. The power supply it replaced was in the unit for one year and the unit was carefully stored, off and not used. Upon recalling it for production use, the lights began flickering after 3 days. These power supplies go bad when they are not even used! No surprise.
An external power supply for your control surfaces is a "no brainer", especially since they suck. BTW-does anyone use any of these digidesign control surfaces with other software? Logic? anything? Oh no!, that's right you can't... SO why are we hooking these Control surfaces up to 192 boxes if they don't work without them (Don't say scalability). Put the two together in the same box and save the planet some resources? Then again, what should I expect from an audio company owned by Video people. I think it would be really cool to get some healthy competition in Digidesign's market.... anyone?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:04 AM

Quote:
I think it would be really cool to get some healthy competition in Digidesign's market.... anyone?
I second that.........

I wish Tascam would get their $#!% together and make a version of the FW-1884 that comes with 2 expansions already on it, and add something like the Pro Control's Edit Pack.... keyboard, trackball, and surround joysticks. (Of course, I don't think they read customer suggestions....)

The FW-1884 is dope. I sold mine after buying the Control 24 and almost regret it. The FW-1884 is touch sensative, and expandable to 128 faders.... but no 'edit packs' or joysticks. Features are all implemented AND it also has Flip modes for sends, pans, etc.

Of course this was their little guy, if you want something more serious there's always the DM-4800.... but if all you want is a surface.... the FW-1884 is a cost effective alternative, at $5,000 I think the DM may be a bit overpriced..... But shop around for expansions on a FW-1884 and you can be into 24 faders on that joker for less than $3,000... prolly around $2,500. AND keep in mind that it has a 4 in 4 out routable MIDI interface in it, as well as 8 channels of phantom (Not brilliant pre's, but they're there) and it can act as a standalone mixer, and output either by 8 assignable 1/4's or by optical ADAT, SPDIF, etc. AND ARGOSY MAKES A CONSOLE FOR IT!!!!!!!!!

I think Tascam could be Digi's biggest competitor on the control end..... I'd say Mackie, but I think they're getting cheaper..... I'd like to see an upgraded version of the D8B.

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 10-22-2007, 12:01 PM

I've had my C|24 for about 3 years now and it's been rock solid, so I can't complain about that.

I'd like to know more about the pres in the new C|24, are they the same as digiPre?

Monitoring section improvements, external power supply is really nice... have to hear it.

I'm not willing to throw away my Argosy just yet.... but it does look like an improvement.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:36 PM

Thanks for the link
Old 11-09-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I'm gonna wait and see how the new C/24 fans out with the buyers.

Guy
ditto. now that i read all posts
Old 06-28-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:

Hi,
When I was looking at controllers came across it. Seems well made and everything, BIG issue for me was that they don't have touch-sensitive faders. They call them touch-sensitive but they're not what most people understand that term to mean, they're motion sensitive. If that isn't a problem for you, go for it.

Pete
ps Welcome!
Just wanted to clarify that the M24 faders are motorized and touch sensitive.
This is an excellent board. I have one.
PreSonus 1824c
Faderport 16
Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.12
Studio One 6.5 Pro
Logic Pro X
Old 07-03-2008, 10:15 PM

I upgraded from the Control| 24 to a C|24 and my experience has been very satisfactory. There have been no technical issues yet, and I'm very pleased with the sound and functionality of this little console. While I don't rely on the pre's much, they are definitely improved form the predecessor and the monitor section sounds tighter and cleaner.

I don't find the $7999 price tag exorbitant at all. In fact, when looking for a 5.1 surround monitoring solution that included some ProTools integration, there was nothing on the market that could compete with this option. I realize the price tag may be out of reach for some Digi users, but I encourage those users to wait a few months. Prices always drop, and there will always be guys like me who will end up jumping up to the larger Icon consoles and trading these ones in.

Thanks for listening.

Douglas Romanow
[email protected]
Old 07-04-2008, 10:05 AM

Is the Monitor pot still "stepped" as the original Control 24 was/is??