Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 08-07-2011, 06:09 PM

Unhappy I hope that each note can be output to a separate channel in protools

Hi I'm composer in Japan.
In Protools, brass and strings tracks become too many and too messy as arranging songs, using software without Key switch for example Miroslav or Kick Ass Brass .

It would be much better if each note can be output to a separate channel like Logic or Cubase.
Now it is very troublesome because a midi track is created for each articulation.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:35 PM

Default Re: I hope that each note can be output to a separate channel in protools

Yep Cubase and Logic are strong in this regard, this post here that I created also ties in with PT not being able to separate midi and explode the instrument to different midi channels with the instrument being in tact, so you have to manually do it...
Anyone in their right mind knows the other daws trump PT in workflow for this..
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=305494 though slightly different, PT doesn't allow for quick workflow in this regard.. I'm new to PT,but geez where have the users using PT been on this???
Akai MPK 88|Novation 61SL MKII |Grace 101|Focusrite Pre
Monitor Station|HP4|Faderport|DynAudio Bm5a MK2|Event Tr8|22 GIK Traps|2Ears
Software: Pro Tools 9.03|Logic 9|Studio One Pro
Old 08-07-2011, 06:48 PM

Default Re: I hope that each note can be output to a separate channel in protools

I assume that by saying "route each note" you mean route each instrument to it's own track.

If that's the case, Where do you assign the output of each instrument?

For example, in Miroslav You put the strings on assigned to output channel 1.

Brass would go to output channel 2 and so on.. (all of this on an instrument track).

Next, set up however many audio tracks you need and assign the inputs according to what you set up as outputs of your VI.

Record-arm the tracks and you're done.

Maybe it's something else you are trying to do?
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 08-07-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonLance View Post
Yep Cubase and Logic are strong in this regard, this post here that I created also ties in with PT not being able to separate midi and explode the instrument to different midi channels with the instrument being in tact, so you have to manually do it...
Anyone in their right mind knows the other daws trump PT in workflow for this..
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=305494 though slightly different, PT doesn't allow for quick workflow in this regard.. I'm new to PT,but geez where have the users using PT been on this???
Yes I see what you mean although your question is a little different from what I am suggesting.
I agree with you that PT is behind Cubase or Logic in terms of what can be done with midi. PT states that it offers the cutting-edge operation system, and it is certainly not true with midi.
I hope PT will actually live up to what it says it is. As a professional composer/arranger, I will continue to report what I think is necessary to be changed or added to PT because I cannot really switch to a different software to communicate and work with engineers most of whom are using PT.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edamame_zombie View Post
Yes I see what you mean although your question is a little different from what I am suggesting.
I agree with you that PT is behind Cubase or Logic in terms of what can be done with midi. PT states that it offers the cutting-edge operation system, and it is certainly not true with midi.
I hope PT will actually live up to what it says it is. As a professional composer/arranger, I will continue to report what I think is necessary to be changed or added to PT because I cannot really switch to a different software to communicate and work with engineers most of whom are using PT.
I am not talking about sending each midi track to its own channel, which I know how to do.
What I want to do is to send different notes in one midi track to separate channels; for example, a midi track has 3 notes, and I want to send one of these three notes to the Channel 1 of Miroslav, the channel which staccato is assigned to. This can be done if you are using Cubase, but not with PT.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I will continue to report what I think is necessary to be changed or added to PT because I cannot really switch to a different software to communicate and work with engineers most of whom are using PT.
Then perhaps find the right place to report your concerns. There is no-one in this forum who is able to change anything in Pro Tools.

Ideascale is one place;

http://protools.ideascale.com/

You can also report Bugs there.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 08-08-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
...What I want to do is to send different notes in one midi track to separate channels; for example, a midi track has 3 notes, and I want to send one of these three notes to the Channel 1 of Miroslav, the channel which staccato is assigned to. This can be done if you are using Cubase, but not with PT.
I'm not sure why you would want to do this. It doesn't make sense to me that you would want certain notes to be one articulation (like staccato). What if, later in your piece, you want that same note(s) to be played with tremolo or pizzicato?

It makes more sense to me to use one (Instrument) track for each instrument (1st Violins, for example), and use key-switching or a MIDI controller (like CC1) to change articulations. I use Vienna Instruments Special Edition and Kontakt 4, and both allow this workflow. Perhaps it can't be done in Miroslav.

IMHO, MIDI editing in PT is great. I can do anything I need to fast and easy.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:33 AM

Check out Event - Split Notes in Pro Tools

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 08-10-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdugan View Post
I'm not sure why you would want to do this. It doesn't make sense to me that you would want certain notes to be one articulation (like staccato). What if, later in your piece, you want that same note(s) to be played with tremolo or pizzicato?

It makes more sense to me to use one (Instrument) track for each instrument (1st Violins, for example), and use key-switching or a MIDI controller (like CC1) to change articulations. I use Vienna Instruments Special Edition and Kontakt 4, and both allow this workflow. Perhaps it can't be done in Miroslav.

IMHO, MIDI editing in PT is great. I can do anything I need to fast and easy.
Well, the thing is, Miroslav and Kick Ass Brass don't have key-switching function. It certainly opens up infinite possibilities if the notes in one track can be assigned to separate channels for all kinds of arrangements, as well as for strings arrangements. Maybe you could do even more interesting things with Vienna and Kontakt if they also had that option in addition to their current key-switching function.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:58 AM

Anyway I have a lot of requests regarding the MIDI function other than this...mmm