Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 02-22-2000, 08:24 AM

Default switch order of inserts in a track

Situation: I have used all the insertbuttons in track and I want to change the order of the inserts completely, maybe because I want to have the EQ before the reverb, not after etc.

Do I have to "no-insert" and re-assign every insert again in the order I want them? Shouldn´t this be easier? Have I missed something?
Old 02-22-2000, 09:46 AM

Default Re: switch order of inserts in a track

You haven't missed anything. This would be a very useful option but unfortunately it's not available. You have to reassign all inserts you want changed. If you have automation data written to any inserts then it will all disappear. Digidesign, can this be considered a request for this option in the future?
Old 02-22-2000, 10:09 AM

Tip:

I never start to instanciate on the first insert, I'll rather use the 2nd or 3rd, which leaves for some headrooom. Has saved me a couple of times.

But I agree, it would be nice if Digi could solve this problem

------------------
Robert
Old 02-22-2000, 10:07 PM

I think this is REALLY one of those things that Digi seriously needs to slap thamselves about. I mean come on...

I'm relatively new to PT and came over from Sonic Foundry Vegas where you could change the order of inserts by simply clicking and dragging, just like changing the order of tracks in PT. I would also love to have the ability to DISABLE plugins on an insert. Not bypass, DISABLE. That way you free up your DSP power while saving all settings and automation data. The same thing goes for sends.

The other dumb thing is the issue of why soloing has to mute the audio on all other channels. On most consoles soloing only affects the control room mix, not the main mix or headphone mix. I would suggest making it an option.

Here we are at version 5.0 and none of these simple common sense issues have been addressed.

[This message has been edited by Corey Shay (edited February 22, 2000).]
Old 02-23-2000, 01:17 AM

Hang on there,
Protools offers a 'solo in place' . If it were the like the solo on some consoles cutting across to the control rooom section, you would have to have it on another set of outputs, if you want to leave the mix buss uneffected.
Old 02-23-2000, 07:45 PM

Well, we've got at least 8 outputs and I rarely use more than 2 at a time, why not make it so you can assign one set of outputs to be a CT room out?
Old 02-25-2000, 08:57 AM

Well, why is there a hardware provision for a "Solo" bus on my ProControl? I would love to have PFL on this system, and assume Digi is working on it or I wouldn't have left room in the patchbay for these phantom outputs. Wha'up? Also, when will my dummy phase reverse switches be powered up?