Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2003, 11:34 PM

Default Need a pro tips for studio recording.

Hi!
I have a good studio with two separated rooms.
And the issue is that i used to communicate
between rooms a wireless intercom but the thing
pass away [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] .
Can you tell me how to make the communication between room i mean a pro way to do this, i don't
know if i can use a mic or the way i did before
with the intercom ?

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Need a pro tips for studio recording.

Usually the only "pro" way is to use tie lines from the control room to the recording studio: these are hardwired cables that connect the mixer (or workstation) from the headphone amps in the studio; usually the headphone mix is done by using aux sends on the mixer in pre-fader, so that they are independent from the level on the mixer, and feeding them some to kind of headphone amp (Behringer, Furman, ecc); the "talk to" swithch on the mixer allows the engineer to decide which buss or auxiliary to use for the little talkback mic on the console; when pressed the talkback swicth usually dims the control room monitors down so as to avoid feedback loops; the communication from studio to control room is usually done via the mics used for recording.
If you don't have a mixer with talkback capability (or you're working with a DAW) there's several manufacturers that build devices suited for this need, like Coleman Audio.

I hope this helps

L.G.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:23 AM

Generally RF and audio equipment don't get along well.. wireless talkback systems in studios use infra red, but only to toggle the talkback switch.. all audio connections are hard wired.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 04-24-2003, 09:04 PM

If you have phone jacks in both rooms you can just pick up a couple "phone line intercoms" from radioshack. They can do the job for a cheap price.