Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2018, 07:03 PM

Default Avid, you will never got $999USD out of me to renew my plan.

My HD/Ultimate plan has expired, I knew this was going to happen, however I was shocked/disgusted to see that the price to renew this is $999USD.

I'm sure a lot are happy to pay this but personally, I will never.

Why do you penalise people for this?

I've been on the PT wagon since Nubus 3.1 TDM. DSP farms, all that.

There's no loyalty.

Again, if you're happy to pay this, more power to you I suppose. But, why not just charge an annual fee that is set at $399USD regardless of whether your plan expires or not.

Or perhaps a fee of $599 to re-instate a plan.... but more than double at $999??? Horrendous. It's simply blackmail to keep people renewing. Vile.

Perplexed.

Stefan Nowak.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Avid, you will never got $999USD out of me to renew my plan.

Since the hardware no longer subsidizes the software upgrades
Avid removed the HD card requirement
Then Avid also reduced the price on the cards
the software upgrades will then cost more money.
You can't have it both ways - sorry

i'm stuck on 12.5.2 and no need to upgrade until I get a new Mac Pro 5 or 6 years from now....
Old 05-26-2018, 05:35 PM

I totally get that and I don't have a problem paying an annual support/update plan.

It's the extortion that comes once a plan expires that bothers me. I simply will never part with $999USD to renew my plan.

Stef.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:37 PM

Well, it's pretty obvious. If the "reinstatement fee" was lower or if it was the same as a yearly renewal, then people wouldn't keep on any kind of subscription plan. They'd just buy when a new version they need was out.

It would be the exact same thing as it used to be before the subscription model but now for lower money. If you don't remember (which you should based on your long history with Pro Tools), upgrades were expensive for TDM versions.
More than the $399 or $599 you want now to pay. If you wait 3 years between upgrades, even at $999, it's less that the cost of upgrades were before 12.

The dumb thing is if you reinstate under 3 years from your expiry -- then it would have been better to pay continuously. And that's kind of the point to encourage that behaviour to give them a steady cash flow vs sporadic.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
.......then it would have been better to pay continuously. And that's kind of the point to encourage that behaviour to give them a steady cash flow vs sporadic.
The problem comes when you are giving them cash annually but not seeing a benefit on your return.

If the updates don’t amaze you or are problem stricken, then your paying for bug fixes and not features

Part of that is Apples fault and their continuous movement of the finish line.....a steady continual movement of software development that Avid struggles to keep up with.....just wait what will happen this coming year in September when 10.14 comes out.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:51 AM

Is there *any* way to get reinstated for $399 without pay the additional $600 penalty? In January I could have sworn I renewed. I'm also a currently active Media Composer subscriber. When I went to launch PTHD the plan showed expired. I opened a case with Avid but have not heard back yet. I realize Avid can do whatever they want, but most SaaS providers do not penalize SoHo customers to this degree.