Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2008, 04:32 AM

Default Win XP PT 7.4 CS2 - MP3 option causes access violation

Hello to all,

this happens randomly on my HD4 System in a Digidesign expansion chassis on an AMD Opteron Tyan Thunder mainboard.

After creating a new session, editing, recording and mixing I was trying to bounce the mix into one audiofile MP3 High Quality 192 Kbps, after bouncing the complete track to disk and the convert process starts, this part again and again leads into following error message:

Could not complete the Bounce to Disk command because Access violation occured.

One hast to restart Pro Toos and redo the Bounce command with all settings to do once more in the MP3 dialog.

Due to the fact that there is a lot of loading time due to heavy TDM plugin use, this takes a lot of time.

This is new from PT version HD 7.4, the german Digidesign support talks about a possible incompatibility issue between my PT HD 7.4 and my mainboard / CPU setup.

Anyone else could confirm this bug on an equal or different setup?

Thanks in advance,

greetings to all.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Win XP PT 7.4 CS2 - MP3 option causes access violation

Stumble over your post!
Have PT 7.4 cs2 LE and an Intel Quad with Win XP Pro.

Same issue here! Access violations bouncing to disk!
I restart PT then it works!? Go figure?
Worked in 7.3 flawlessly.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Avid

Have you tried trashing preference or database files yet?

One more thing - I've seen this solved by creating and logging into a new admin account. Could you try that and let me know if it works for you?
Old 02-27-2008, 10:31 PM

I had the exact same issue with 7.4 cs2, then I noticed that it only occured when I bounced longer audio files (two minutes or more). So I poked around and turned disk indexing off and the problem hasn't returned. *crosses fingers* I did this:

Remove File Indexing: Open My Computers, right click on every hard disk drive, uncheck "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching", then "Apply changes to C:, subfolders and files".
Old 02-28-2008, 07:09 AM

Hello,

thanks for answering.

I created a new admin account, logged in and started PT HD, this means also clean preferences on this account.

I open a session and did several MP3 exports as before, now without any problem.

So what should I do to get this working on my base account or should it be working right now also ?

Greetings
Old 02-28-2008, 08:03 AM
Avid

Quote:
So what should I do to get this working on my base account or should it be working right now also ?

Unfortunately, there's probably little you can do to get the original account working. Knowing which user file is causing the problem would be extremely difficult to determine.

My recommendation is just to migrate everything over to the new account.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:25 PM

Just stumbled on this post after researching an access violation myself. Finding out which file you do not have proper access to is actually very easy using a free utility named Filemon. It used to be downloadable from SysInternals but Microsoft bought 'em out, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896642.aspx

You run FileMon, and then start the process that gives you the error. Once you get the error, stop FileMon and then read through the messages looking for an 'access denied' result.

FileMon isn't hard to use but it initially appears daunting because it monitors all file activity so the log grows very quickly. You can filter your results though. Just play with it!
Old 05-04-2008, 12:53 PM

Hi All,
Just a thought. If you open your task manager and look at the memory useage, does PT use around 1.62 gigs when the crash occurs? I've experienced quite a bit or crashed with the access violation errors due to Pt using way too much memory and reaching the total amount of memory available.
best,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme