Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2009, 09:39 PM

Default Pro Tools crashes when I uses pre-roll

I'm running PT8 HD Accel 2 on a Mac Dual 2.5 ghz G5 (PPC). I have been experiencing two issues.

The first is that if I use try to punch in using pre and post roll, it either will not pre roll at all or I get the Beach ball of death and PT crashes with no warning.

The second problem is that I get a latency when recording. This happens rarely, but it's a pain in the ass. When a client is here I have to quickly bounce a quick mix of the existing session, open a new session and import that mix. Then record in the new session, and of course bring the newly recorded files back into the first session and place them. It seems that once the latency starts in a session, it stays there permanently. It has only happened in four sessions, but I'd obviously like to find the problem and fix it.

I have checked and rechecked that my plug-ins were compatible with PT8. Some weren't and I either updated them or dragged them into the un-used plug-ins folder until I have the money to replace or update them. All the ones in use are current now. I have also trashed preferences and digdesign databases (on all attached drives). I am still having both of these problems.

I actually have a very heavy workload right now and I need help as soon as possible.

I will be eternally grateful to anyone who can help me.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools crashes when I uses pre-roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Egg View Post
I'm running PT8 HD Accel 2 on a Mac Dual 2.5 ghz G5 (PPC). I have been experiencing two issues.

The first is that if I use try to punch in using pre and post roll, it either will not pre roll at all or I get the Beach ball of death and PT crashes with no warning.

The second problem is that I get a latency when recording. This happens rarely, but it's a pain in the ass. When a client is here I have to quickly bounce a quick mix of the existing session, open a new session and import that mix. Then record in the new session, and of course bring the newly recorded files back into the first session and place them. It seems that once the latency starts in a session, it stays there permanently. It has only happened in four sessions, but I'd obviously like to find the problem and fix it.

I have checked and rechecked that my plug-ins were compatible with PT8. Some weren't and I either updated them or dragged them into the un-used plug-ins folder until I have the money to replace or update them. All the ones in use are current now. I have also trashed preferences and digdesign databases (on all attached drives). I am still having both of these problems.

I actually have a very heavy workload right now and I need help as soon as possible.

I will be eternally grateful to anyone who can help me.
Your first problem could be related to your hard drive!...

Are you using an external or internal drive? what type?
does the drive have plenty of free space?
using a dedicated internal drive is better!!
in prefs have you set to use all available disk space? or have you set it to a specified time? specifying a time will help so set it to just more than you need!!!

Second problem!! well, you make no mention of whether you are using delay compensation? do you know what delay compensation is and what it does? spill the beans!!
is ADC turned on?
do you have plugins on the track you are recording to? or on an aux that the track is busses to? or the master output?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Your first problem could be related to your hard drive!...

Are you using an external or internal drive? what type?
does the drive have plenty of free space?
using a dedicated internal drive is better!!
in prefs have you set to use all available disk space? or have you set it to a specified time? specifying a time will help so set it to just more than you need!!!

Second problem!! well, you make no mention of whether you are using delay compensation? do you know what delay compensation is and what it does? spill the beans!!
is ADC turned on?
do you have plugins on the track you are recording to? or on an aux that the track is busses to? or the master output?

Chris

I use an internal drive to record. Its a 250 gig drive with about 100 gig of free space available. In prefs, I have it set to ten minutes, I only change that when I'm doing music for a film.

As far as ADC, I generally dont record with ADC turned on, but I tried putting it on, as well as many other things, and nothing's ending the recording latency. I have no plugs on the tracks when recording. I have the track on a send to an external reverb, in the most recent case, a Lex PCM 91. But I tried turning that off (no send), again, no help.

I have the playback and DAE buffer set as low as possible and I've tried every combination of those settings with no luck. I've racked my brain and searched several forums for similar problems. I have 8 gig of ram. I'm trying to think of any salient information that I might not be including.

I've had an HD Accel rig since 2003 and have never had any problem like this. I am generally fairly good at trouble shooting when I do have problems. I'm usually able to solve them. This one has me stumped.

I really appreciate you taking the time to try and help me with my issues. If there's any other information that you think I should include that would make it easier for you or anyone else to assist me, please let me know. It's late/early here in wash dc and I may not be thinking of everything.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 04-11-2009, 02:33 AM

Quote:
I use an internal drive to record. Its a 250 gig drive with about 100 gig of free space available. In prefs, I have it set to ten minutes, I only change that when I'm doing music for a film.

As far as ADC, I generally dont record with ADC turned on, but I tried putting it on, as well as many other things, and nothing's ending the recording latency. I have no plugs on the tracks when recording. I have the track on a send to an external reverb, in the most recent case, a Lex PCM 91. But I tried turning that off (no send), again, no help.

I have the playback and DAE buffer set as low as possible and I've tried every combination of those settings with no luck. I've racked my brain and searched several forums for similar problems. I have 8 gig of ram. I'm trying to think of any salient information that I might not be including.

I've had an HD Accel rig since 2003 and have never had any problem like this. I am generally fairly good at trouble shooting when I do have problems. I'm usually able to solve them. This one has me stumped.

I really appreciate you taking the time to try and help me with my issues. If there's any other information that you think I should include that would make it easier for you or anyone else to assist me, please let me know. It's late/early here in wash dc and I may not be thinking of everything.

Thanks,

Eric
Hi,

So you definitely have no plugins on the master bus/channel?
And no plugins on any AUX channels that the record channel is routed to!

The only thing that can cause latency is either a plugin somewhere in the monitor chain! this can be on the record channel or a bus or the master output. providing no plugins are between the record track and the output you should be delay free.

Second thing is the hardware buffer! but you've explored this.

Are you talking microphone/live player monitoring latency! not midi instrument playing latency!!

want to send me the session .ptf? not the audio etc just the .ptf file and i can look at the session setup.

chris @ ukmastering . com

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

So you definitely have no plugins on the master bus/channel?
And no plugins on any AUX channels that the record channel is routed to!

The only thing that can cause latency is either a plugin somewhere in the monitor chain! this can be on the record channel or a bus or the master output. providing no plugins are between the record track and the output you should be delay free.

Second thing is the hardware buffer! but you've explored this.

Are you talking microphone/live player monitoring latency! not midi instrument playing latency!!

want to send me the session .pdf? not the audio etc just the .pdf file and i can look at the session setup.

chris @ ukmastering . com

Chris
Hi Chris,

No, nothing is on the master and the master is being routed directly to my main outs.

The latency occurs with mics or line in signals and it's only happened on 4 sessions. But those sessions are still messed up. I was thinking that maybe I have 4 corrupt sessions because if I open up a new session and import the audio from that session, there's no latency. However, if I import ALL the session data, the latency is there.

I've never made a .pdf of a session, I can probably figure it out though. Do you mean the preferences, each tab? I'll be back at my studio this evening and I'll figure out a way to get a .pdf to you.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.

Eric
Old 04-11-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I've never made a .pdf of a session, I can probably figure it out though. Do you mean the preferences, each tab? I'll be back at my studio this evening and I'll figure out a way to get a .pdf to you.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.

Eric
Sorry thats a typo error it should be .ptf thats just the pro tools session file. song title.ptf etc, not the entire session just the .ptf. so just take your song .ptf file and zip it (right click and create archive) and e-mail.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 04-12-2009, 07:05 PM

Chris, you were right! I went back and looked at the three previous sessions that had this same problem, and sure enough there was an insert on the master bus. I took the inserts off and the latency was gone. Now, as for the most recent one, the one we were talking about, there was also an insert on the main bus. I had two masters, one going to the headphone mixer and the other going to my monitors. The one that was going to my monitors had an insert, but somehow it got taken off the mix window, leaving me to think that the headphone master was the only master and it had no insert on it. When I realized that all the other 3 sessions had inserts on the main bus, I went back and checked the most recent one again and realized the situation. I feel like an idiot. I rarely put an insert on the main bus until all the tracking is done, so that's why it only happened 4 times. I also rarely use two masters in a session. Anyway, problem solved, thanks to you!

Also, I went back and looked at some of my old posts because I thought your name seemed familiar. You helped me a couple of years ago when I had a rewire issue. Thank you soooo much! Btw, my wife is from Ireland and we make it over to Ireland about twice a year to see her family. Every now and again we stop over in England for a few days. The next time I do, I would like to look you up and buy you a drink or two if you're cool with that. It's the least I could do. If it's alright with you I'll add you as a contact and let you know the next time we're coming over. Also, if you ever find yourself in Washington DC, let me know. We live just outside the city.

Ok, so one problem is still unresolved. The pre-roll problem. Any ideas on what might be causing that one?

Thanks,

Eric
Old 04-20-2009, 07:32 AM

Hello Eric,

I also run frequently into this issue, I already create a new tread for that issue on the PC side.

I´m using PT 8 CS2 HD4 under WIN XP 32 on a AMD Opteron system.

The CTD (crashes to desktop) happens randomly if I´m using quick or track punch on recording several tracks as an overdub over already existing tracks.

There was no feedback or response regarding this issue.

Normal recording by setting a range and start the record anywhere in front of this range works fine in those situations.

Would be helpful, if you post any news regarding this issue.

Thanks in advance,

greetings,
Goetz