Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2010, 04:46 PM

Exclamation Complex Pro Tools Problem: Windows 7 & Pro Tools 7 & 8

Hi guys,

I upgraded to Windows 7 and did not install Pro Tools right away since I was not using it. Then I found Reaper and wanted to give it a try after reading it worked with my MBox 2. To make it work I had to download the ASIO drivers for my Mbox and I got a file named "Digidesign_Audio_Drivers_v803_64591" (I'm trying to give you as many details as I can, as the "Help us Help You" post states).

In any case, I installed them and could not make Reaper work with it. I got frustrated and tried to install PT7 since I was using it on my old Windows XP computer. However, we all know PT7 does not work with Windows 7 (I did not know back then) and it got "stuck" in my system. I then learned I needed to get Pro Tools 8, bought it, and I have not been able to install it ever since (but the uninstaller of PT8 did uninstall PT7).

I contacted support (good guys) and they have helped me for the past week, but no results. I have followed the Windows 7 optimization list, running registry cleaners, and made sure that Pro Tools 7 was not installed anymore.

But it does not work: I cannot install Pro Tools 8.

In any case, I decided to join the forum and have someone help me with this odd situation.

What's going on?

COMMON QUESTIONS WITH ANSWERS

1. Did you plugged the USB Mbox 2 while installing Pro Tools 8.0.3 on Windows 7: No. I know I'm supposed to upgrade to 8.0.4.

2. Have you unistalled PT7 and 8, if installed, before trying to install again? : Yes. I have also deleted folders left located in the User/AppLocal folders and the Program Files/Common Files folders.

COMPUTER SPECS
  • Windows 7 Professional
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHz
  • 4GB RAM Memory
  • Motherboard Intel DP43TF
  • Plenty of HD Space (3 HD Installed)
  • Mbox 2 (USB)
  • Purchased Pro Tools 8 (Trying to Install 8.0.3 to then Upgrade to 8.0.4)

THANKS!
Old 10-10-2010, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Complex Pro Tools Problem: Windows 7 & Pro Tools 7 & 8

......I have also deleted folders left located in the User/AppLocal folders and the Program Files/Common Files folders.

Deleting a folder is not the same as uninstalling. Now that the folder is gone, that may make it tougher. You need something like PTNuke(if you can find it) to remove all bits of the old PT installation. Then start fresh, install PT8(without connecting the interface) and then running the 8.0.4 updater. If you search the user conference, you may get lucky and find a link to the download for ptnuke(or someone may have it and can send it to you). If you have the retail PT8 disk, it has an uninstall utility on the disk and that may work.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-11-2010, 02:40 PM

Arrow [SOLVED] Complex Pro Tools Problem: Windows 7 & Pro Tools 7 & 8

Hi albee1952,

I'm a 10+ year computer expert and I know "erasing" is not the same as "uninstalling." However, when a program fails to delete what it left behind, it is necessary to delete. It is on the uninstalling instructions of Pro Tools 7 and 8 anyway.

In any case, I did what NOBODY seems to recommend: I re-installed Windows 7 and all the problems went away. I could install PT 8.0.4 under 30 minutes.

So guys, if you treasure your time, make sure your computer is good and can handle PT8 and then, if you have too many issues installing it, RE-INSTALL Windows 7.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:30 PM

Default Re: [SOLVED] Complex Pro Tools Problem: Windows 7 & Pro Tools 7 & 8

You mean the "industry standard" audio software does not uninstall to "industry standards"?

Why does this not surprise me....
Old 10-11-2010, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Complex Pro Tools Problem: Windows 7 & Pro Tools 7 & 8

Well, re-installing Windows is a good idea and a solid solution(I was merely trying to save you that step). I have used the Windows uninstaller as well as the uninstall utility on the PT8 disk with total success every time. Of course, that and $5 will get me Starbucks. In any case, glad you got it working

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave