Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2017, 04:13 AM

Default Development of the Venue line

So how will the new Venue line develop? There is a giant S6L what seems to be great good and expensive. And there is this small S3L-X which is a small console with mid-size price tag. In between there is noting.

Comparing to SC48 to S3L-X and you be left with a console that doesn't hurt your back but it is not a replacement for install sound who deals with lot's of different shows. it lacks to much maybe good enough for touring but not for fixed install.

i'm still hoping to see a console with (guess it sounds like a mixrack system)
24 faders
96 channels 64 Pre's
48 mix busses
40 plugin slots, 4 on a channel
gain reduction of the dynamics on the surface
build in auto-mixer
aux pre post pickoffs per channel per aux (same for output MTX)

as for now there lot's of other players on the market who offer more flexible surfaces and different options where Avid is nowhere near.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:53 PM

Default Re: Development of the Venue line

I think Avid is doin' something different when they showed us the first D-Show. With the old line, they started introducing the top-of-the-range D-Show and then, I'm not sure, but maybe in a range of 5-7 years were introduced the Profile, then Mixrack and finally SC-48. From top to down.

The new Live series started 3 years ago with the "strange" but versatile S3L-X. Then, a couple years later, the S6 for studio and more late the S6L. It's easy to see that, this time, was something different: from bottom to top without mid-range, from "see us what we are going to do" (S3L) and suddenly "that's our best" (S6/S6L). In the meantime, S3L-X is a strange system because is in the middle of both series (Venue and Live) and, I think, we're waiting for a software that push S3L really on what Avid think is Live Series (or the new line up).

Is a S4/S5 or S-what coming? Of course it is... but I think that they have to finish both S3L and S6L products first. We know that Avid is not as fast as we wish.

And of course, other brands are doin' maybe better. Take a look at the new SD12 from Digico: really nice. But with reduced performance just because "they need" to sell more SD9, SD7, etc. It's hard to make an investment and buying a SD12 but knowing that you can not get 100 % functionality maybe after 1 or 2 years. Do you remember when Midas/Behringer said that M32 will be in a "near" future capable of 96 khz? Still waiting... and if you ask the manufacter sometime you get this answer: we really said that? Nah...
Old 04-08-2017, 04:04 PM

The S6L is available in a few configurations so you could just look at the lesser versions

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-08-2017, 05:43 PM

They really need a replacement for the SC48 price range......
Old 04-10-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSendra View Post

And of course, other brands are doin' maybe better. Take a look at the new SD12 from Digico: really nice. But with reduced performance just because "they need" to sell more SD9, SD7, etc. It's hard to make an investment and buying a SD12 but knowing that you can not get 100 % functionality maybe after 1 or 2 years. Do you remember when Midas/Behringer said that M32 will be in a "near" future capable of 96 khz? Still waiting... and if you ask the manufacter sometime you get this answer: we really said that? Nah...
Of course your right. The SD 12 is less capable than a SD9. And will take couple of years probally, But it has better ergonomics 2 touch screens. An it is investment but in the end an winner

But if you compare an SD9 against an avid SC48 or S3L their I/O specs are miles ahead. And i'm not here for promoting other consoles just saying that they hold there old value really well.

Where the updates for SC48 and mixrack systems are vanished. So i guess it is fair to expect in new console from Avid in the range of an SC48 or mixrack. Or switch to an other brand who are faster on making updates (and bug fixes)
Old 04-11-2017, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingthor View Post
Or switch to an other brand who are faster on making updates (and bug fixes)
Actually this is my current point: expect a new S4 / S5 / S ... or the expected software update for the S3L-X that never arrives or reinvest in a brand that already has in stock what I need today and that is even better for tomorrow.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Avid

I agree... there does need to be something there.

But what I wonder, you say the S6L and S3L aren't "finished yet" what would you need to call it "finished"?

Because whatever it is, I won't call it finished even then, we've got a LOT of ideas coming that will hopefully change your concept of what a "finished" console is... that's the nice thing about being able to roll out features many times a year. Not only do we get to keep up with bugs, but move forward the technology as a whole constantly.

[email protected]
Old 04-12-2017, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
I agree... there does need to be something there.
Well that is good to hear.

Quote:
But what I wonder, you say the S6L and S3L aren't "finished yet" what would you need to call it "finished"?
Well it is frustrating to see that a new console like the S3L-X is still behind comparing to an SD9 (which is old!! )when just comparing specs like inputs and buss structure, snapshots programing.

It is a valid question; what is finished?
As even an SC48 what suppose te be a finished product, because there is not gonna be new updates for it. But it is not bug free!

To make it clear i like Avid consoles, but in the 30-45k price range it is getting harder to justify a new S3L-X because it lacks vs the competition

-No over all compression metering
-Buss structure is not today's demands
-There is no auto mix plug in/system like AH QU, soundcraft Vi, Yamaha QL & CL and midas pro has.
-snapshot automation is not good enough for theater standards (per channel scope settings)
- aux pre/ post selection as it is now is ancient
- and yes, 24 faders please!!

And when a console has all the primary stuff, then of course then we like to see all the cool ideas Avid has.

For example I like see a option where you can EQ every aux send separately on a single channel.

And surround sound panning and automation.

But it is not necessary in my opinion vs the above request.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:20 AM

Quote:
you say the S6L and S3L aren't "finished yet" what would you need to call it "finished"?
Good question! Apart bugs (Avid takes too much time to update simply things), and only about S3 (I'm not S6 user), finished should means something like "my console is at the same level than others" (price level, if y wish). And if Avid, something better should be: "we're one step beyond the others... ever".

We know Avid is goin' to introduce a new update for next couple months for S3L. Which kind? Solving last update problems like SOLO bug? Giving us some extra-features that will keep the console update and nothing else? Upgrading with MADI and the option to share stageboxs with S6 or new S4? Sounds great, but was something that should be standard at the first time.

Is a good answer?
Old 04-12-2017, 04:48 AM

Come on Avid!
Basic stuff like:
- 96kHz, i wanna go to my amps/controller digital
- more Inputs (96)
- more Busses (32)
- more than 2 Plugins per chanel
- possibility to change the eq view on the s3 from low, low mid, high mid, high to gain & frequency without touching the pots. Like on sc48.
- pro multiband comp. for free (gift for waiting and waiting)
- more dsp for plugins (open the four dsp)
I have three s3l-x.
And of course a APP!