Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 01:40 AM

Default Re: New Licensing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
There are no Mac or Windows sales, all customers can download whichever one wants to be using.

However I have the understanding that vast majority of HD systems run on Mac and regular PT on Windows.
That's interesting - I had assumed Mac was the main platform for 'vanilla' too ... maybe just disproportionately high (considering that there are considerably fewer Macs than PCs)?
Old 10-24-2014, 02:11 AM

If the post counts here is any indication, take a look:

HD Systems Mac - 17k (or 85%)
HD Systems Win - 3k

PT Software Mac - 76k (or 65%)
PT Software Win - 41k

So, of all Windows piosts roughly 93% come to the regular software forum, but of all Mac posts only about 82%. Now if we assume that at least "some percentage" of HD posts go solely to the HD forum, the regular software percentages are about 50-50 or windows as majority
Old 10-24-2014, 04:07 AM

Quote:
If the post counts here is any indication, take a look:

HD Systems Mac - 17k (or 85%)
HD Systems Win - 3k

PT Software Mac - 76k (or 65%)
PT Software Win - 41k

So, of all Windows piosts roughly 93% come to the regular software forum, but of all Mac posts only about 82%. Now if we assume that at least "some percentage" of HD posts go solely to the HD forum, the regular software percentages are about 50-50 or windows as majority
Interesting - wonder if those HD figures will change with the influx of (willing or unwilling) CPTK migrants.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 10-24-2014, 04:49 AM

Quote:
I can see where you're standing. However I was referring to talks that are happening as we speak, but haven't gone public. All of this thread is important for Avid, I know it as a fact. But it beats me why it takes so long to release more official information about this.
Agreed. You would think that after the past debacles that have had threads going on for hundreds of posts and thousands of views where a lot of vitriol was written about Avid and their decisions they would put out something more than the one post by Tony. Of course we don't expect Hernandez to post here but come on Avid - say something substantial.

I wonder if they're getting squeezed by the bankers to show they have a path to funds so company assets don't get liquidated or sold off to another bidder?

QAPLA!
Old 10-24-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Agreed. You would think that after the past debacles that have had threads going on for hundreds of posts and thousands of views where a lot of vitriol was written about Avid and their decisions they would put out something more than the one post by Tony. Of course we don't expect Hernandez to post here but come on Avid - say something substantial.

I wonder if they're getting squeezed by the bankers to show they have a path to funds so company assets don't get liquidated or sold off to another bidder?
And quietly the stock keeps creeping up. (25% upside for me this year) with almost no insider trading, news or institutional buying. Very weird.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:15 AM

All of this reminds me of informational corporate meetings we were compelled to attend by our immediate managers through the years.

Changes by upper management were announced, new directions and philosophies introduced.
New programs were put in place with training from the contractors that sold upper management on the usefulness of the program.
I don't care if it was Six Sigma, Lean Training, Authoria for corporate goal management, you name it.
Most left the meetings up in arms, rationalizing, criticizing corporate idiots and how they don't know what they are doing and
how useless the changes will most likely be, it's a disaster in the making.

Even if you talked to your managers they would nod their heads in agreement and then tell you in essence, suck it up,
changes are coming, right or wrong upper management made some business decisions and you're not going to stop it or change it.

Corporate listened to some negative feedback, changed something here or there but 6 months or so down the road
after implementation they circumvented those little deviations anyway.
In the end they got what they wanted right or wrong.

In this situation, Avid the Corporation is making business decisions and that is it.
I believe they have reached the stage where they are saying if you can't afford to play then you don't fit in our future business vision.

It's business and that is all it is. It isn't personal. It is about dividends, stock holders, raises, bonuses, etc.
They did analysis, talked to lawyers, acountants, etc.,and what they perceive as future good changes for the
company after analysis is what will be applied.

Time will tell if they chose well. Some changes I saw in corporate were in the end better then I wanted to admit.
Some were disastrous and a total waste of money and disappeared within a year or so of roll out.

This isn't defending Avid, bottom dollar is they are making business decisions and they aren't associating names,
places, family's or anything unless it fits in the business vision.

Last edited by ValkRider; 10-24-2014 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-24-2014, 12:38 PM

Bruce has just been spotted over on AAX plug-ins ... so definitely in the area and still nothing to communicate! Must be difficult for him if also tracking this thread - even a quick 'we have nothing to say' would be appreciated as at least then we'd know that Avid know we're annoyed :)

JFreak - any update on those deliberations at Avid HQ - the weekend has started in my part of the world so I guess we're going to get at least another 5-10 pages of speculation with the occasional new entrant to the debate?!
Old 10-24-2014, 12:53 PM

Default New Licensing

Bruce is a very hard working contractor who helps manage the day to day of DUC for Avid, he is not who you should be looking at to provide answers to the many marketing/business questions raised here.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Bruce is a very hard working contractor who helps manage the day to day of DUC for Avid, he is not who you should be looking at to provide answers to the many marketing/business questions raised here.
If that's accurate, and I have no reason to believe it's not. I actually feel sorry for Bruce!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 10-24-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Thanks Darryl - I think we all appreciate Bruce's work. He often contributes to threads when he can be helpful, suspect he has a hotline to Avid in case it's required and I assume he's well aware of this one. The fact that he's posting in another thread and hasn't been here for some time probably confirms (as if this needs to be stated) that Avid's silence is measured and intentional. Hopefully, they'll break their silence soon - JFreak has already intimated that Avid are considering our 'feedback' although there's obviously no guarantee we'll all like what, if anything, they say.
Closed Thread